How long to cook Tom Kha Kai soup?
Boil Tom Kha Kai soup for 40 minutes.
How to cook Tom Kha Kai
Chicken without bone and skin – 200 grams (for a more rich option, meat from the thighs is suitable, for a more dietary option – breast fillet)
Champignons or Shiitake – 100 grams
Coconut milk – 0,5 liters
Tomato – 1 medium
Chili pepper – 2 pods
Ginger – small root
Schisandra – 2 branches
Fish sauce – 1 tablespoon
Dill – a few twigs
Kaffir lime leaves – 6 pieces
Coriander – 1 tablespoon
Lemon – half
Water – 1 liter
Cilantro for decoration
How to cook Tom Kha Kai
1. Peel the ginger, grate on a fine grater.
2. Wash the lemongrass, put on a board and beat with the back of a knife to enhance the release of juice.
3. Put ginger and lemongrass in a saucepan, cover with water and put on fire.
4. Bring water to a boil and cook for 30 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked.
5. Strain the broth – now it is saturated with the aroma of spices.
6. Cut or cut the chicken meat into large pieces, return to the broth.
7. Wash the tomatoes, pour over with boiling water, then peel and chop finely; add to soup.
8. Wash the chili peppers, chop finely, add to Tom Kha Kai.
9. Peel and wash the mushrooms, chop finely.
10. Preheat a frying pan, pour in olive oil, add mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes.
11. Pour coconut milk, fish sauce, fresh squeezed lemon juice into the soup, add kaffir lime leaves, stir.
12. After boiling, put the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
13. Turn off the heat, leave the soup covered for 5 minutes and serve, garnished with sprigs of cilantro and dill.
– Tom Kha Kai soup is a spicy and sour soup of Thai and Lao cuisine, the second most famous after Tom Yam soup, along with Tom Kha Kung soup. The must-haves for Tom Kha Kai are coconut milk, lime leaves, lemongrass, chili peppers, dill or coriander, mushrooms, chicken, fish sauce, and lime juice. In Russia, in order for the soup to acquire richness, it is customary to add chicken broth and fry the mushrooms.
– The difference between Tom Kha Kai soup and Tom Kha Kung soup is the use and preparation of chicken in a special way instead of shrimp.
– To reduce the pungency of the soup, you can remove the seeds from the chili pepper. Tom Kha Kai will get a special zest if the peppers are fried before adding to the soup.
– Dill is traditionally used in Lao cuisine; Thai cuisine ignores it for Tom Kha Kai.
– Coconut milk in the Tom Kha Kai recipe can be replaced with powdered milk.
– Salt the Tom Kha Kai soup with extreme care so that the salt does not overpower the sourness.
See more soups, how to cook them and cooking times!