How long to cook a stracatella?
Cook the Italian stracciella soup for 1 hour.
How to cook stracatella
Chicken broth – 1,7 liters
Eggs – 3 pieces
Semolina – 1/3 cup
Parmesan cheese – 200 grams
Parsley – a bunch
Nutmeg – 10 grams
Lemon – 1/2 piece
Black pepper – to taste
Salt – to taste
How to make stracciella soup
1. Boil chicken stock from 2 liters of water and 300 grams of chicken pieces (breast, thighs or legs).
2. Pour a third of the broth into a cup and cool, place the rest in a saucepan on the burner and let it boil.
3. Grate the Parmesan into fine shavings.
4. Finely chop the parsley.
5. Grate the zest of half a lemon.
6. Put eggs, semolina, cheese, parsley, nutmeg into the cold broth and shake with a whisk.
7. Slowly pour the egg mass into the hot broth, stirring all the time with a whisk, sprinkle with salt and pepper and keep for 3-5 minutes on low heat.
8. In bowls, sprinkle grated cheese, parsley and lemon zest on the soup.
See more soups, how to cook them and cooking times!
– In Italy there is a legend that the commander Julius Caesar loved the stracatella soup, and the recipe was borrowed from one of the peoples captured by the Roman army.
– The name of the soup has roots in the Italian word “stracciato”, which translates as “torn”, “rags”. A raw egg poured into a hot broth becomes rags.
– The egg mixture must be poured into the hot broth gradually in a thin stream, constantly stirring. So “rags” will appear immediately, and the broth will remain transparent.
– Any hard cheese can be used instead of Parmesan.
– The soup is served with grated cheese, chopped parsley and cheese toasts.
– Lemon juice can be added to the finished stracatella.