5 indoor plants that can be dangerous for households

Indoor plants perform more than one useful function in our home. It is both a design element and air purification, as well as flowers can be edible or medicinal. Many people grow aloe vera in their kitchen, which is easy to care for, beautiful in appearance and extremely useful. But even such ordinary plants can be poisonous and pose a danger to children and pets.

If there is a risk that your household may accidentally ingest some of the indoor flora, then you are better off not breeding the plants from the following list.

Departure can happen in the following cases:

  • By ingestion of the leaves or contact with the skin
  • By swallowing berries, flowers and roots
  • In contact with the skin of the juice of plants
  • When soil enters the mouth
  • From the water from the pallet

Most garden centers do not have labels on plants warning of their toxicity. Before you buy a philodendron or beautiful lilies, you should find out if the plant poses a threat to the family.


This plant has gained popularity for its unpretentiousness. And although it is aesthetic, it contains calcium oxalate crystals, which are toxic to humans and animals. Philodendron may or may not be curly. It is very important that the tendrils of the plant are out of the reach of children and animals, and the pot is on a shelf or high windowsill.

People: if a person or even a child eats some philodendron, there may be minor side effects, including dermatitis and swelling of the mouth and gastrointestinal tract. In rare cases, and after consuming large amounts, deaths have been recorded in children.

Cats and dogs: Philodendron is much more dangerous for pets, causing spasms, cramps, pain and swelling. It is most toxic to cats.


A plant related to the philodendron, it is also easy to care for. Many people like to present this flower as a gift.

Young plants have dense, heart-shaped leaves. Old specimens let out mustaches with arrow-shaped leaves. Even if the pot is in an inaccessible place, it is necessary to remove fallen leaves in a timely manner.

People and animals: possible skin irritation, indigestion, vomiting.


There are few flowers that can compare with lilies in beauty. This ornamental plant is a frequent visitor to gardens and indoors.

Not all lilies are poisonous, and some are more dangerous to cats than humans. If you are not sure about the variety you choose, be careful and plant lilies away from playgrounds.

  • Calla
  • Tiger lily
  • Asian lily

People: upset stomach, vomiting, headache, blurred vision and skin irritation.

Cats more susceptible to lilies than dogs. They experience vomiting, lethargy and lack of appetite. Kidney and liver failure may develop, which if left untreated leads to death.


It is mistakenly attributed to the lily family, but it is not. It is an evergreen perennial from South America with glossy leaves and unique white flowers on the stem. It is shade-loving, making it ideal for apartments and rooms with little sunlight.

Spathiphyllum excellently purifies the air, however, if it enters the human or animal body, it causes poisoning and even death.

People: burning and swelling of the lips, mouth and tongue, difficulty speaking and swallowing, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea.

Cats and dogs: information on the toxicity of spathiphyllum to animals is conflicting, but animal safety websites tend to lean toward danger to dogs and cats. A burning sensation in the mouth, drooling, diarrhea, dehydration, anorexia, and vomiting may occur. If left untreated, there is a risk of developing kidney failure.


This plant, a relative of the philodendron, contains the same oxalate crystals. It is also called dumb reed. Dieffenbachia have thick stems and fleshy leaves, usually green or flecked with yellow.

The risk of dieffenbachia poisoning is high because it is a large plant, usually in pots on the floor or low pedestals. Unlike philonendron, dieffenbachia poisoning causes only mild to moderate symptoms in humans and pets.

People and animals: pain in the mouth, drooling, burning, swelling and numbness of the throat.

  • Keep plants out of reach or in rooms where children and pets are not allowed.
  • Take care of flowers in a timely manner and remove fallen leaves.
  • Stick labels on the pots.
  • Wear gloves when handling plants and wash your hands immediately after handling them if the plant causes skin or eye irritation.
  • Do not dispose of plant cuttings in an accessible place.
  • Teach children not to touch plants.
  • Always keep fresh water available for pets so they don’t try to drink from pans. Toxins can also get into the water.
  • To prevent cats from eating plants, try hanging pots in bird cages. This will provide additional protection and visual interest to the room.

Leave a Reply