One of the main reasons for the transition to vegetarianism among people of all ages is the desire to feel an incredible surge of strength and energy. But in practice, it is not implemented in everyone. Nutritionists say that not only the inability to correctly formulate a diet, but also ignoring the rules of food compatibility, may be to blame. And even if different authors describe them in different ways, spicing up their speech with terrible epithets like “toxic, poisonous” in relation to incompatible combinations, but the fact remains: there are basic principles that every vegetarian can and should adhere to.
Compatibility: what is it and why
We all know that foods are divided into several groups in terms of their composition. True, in practice, very few people use this knowledge, but in vain. The fact is that for the proper functioning of the digestive tract, it is very important to use some foods together, others separately, and others in general in a special sequence. Simply because in another way they will not be able to fully split. As a result, those very terrible epithets in relation to the food that has entered your own body, in reality, cannot be avoided.
Why is this happening? There are several reasons:
- 1 the body spends a different amount of time on digesting different food groups;
- 2 while it produces a specific composition of enzymes that are part of the gastric juice;
- 3 the bacteria in the intestines are of great importance, and, therefore, the state of human health.
A banal description of the mechanism of their digestion helps to better understand the principles of food compatibility. So:
- if you eat a fast-digesting product after one that needs long-term processing, it will not be able to leave the stomach in a timely manner. What is the threat? Its subsequent fermentation, as a result of which it begins to decompose, releasing toxic substances, in turn causing increased gas formation, colic, rumbling, unpleasant excitement in the stomach. In practice, all this can be felt by eating fruit for dessert after a hearty meal. For the same reason, do not consume astringent or degradable foods after meals -,.
- Similar sensations can be overtaken if you mix protein and starchy foods in one plate. Simply because for the digestion of the first, an acidic environment is needed, and for the digestion of the second, an alkaline one, otherwise the inhibition of the cleavage processes cannot be avoided. For the same reason, you do not need to eat carbohydrate foods along with sour fruits or sauces, for example, drink tomato juice on bread.
- Everything can be repeated if you eat carbohydrate food along with protein. In this case, it would be good to remember the phase of intestinal digestion. This is when the digested food in the form of gruel enters the small intestine for further processing and passes it without problems thanks to the action of pancreatic juice. Ideally (read: subject to product compatibility rules). And in life it lingers there for a long time, and then finally leaves the stomach not completely split. Of course, the same pancreatic juice will complete the process of its processing, but at the same time it will use additional “forces”, which, as a result, will exert unnecessary stress on the liver, small intestine and the pancreas itself. And be sure that a person will definitely feel it, feeling a “stone in the stomach”.
In conclusion, along with the principles of compatibility, I would like to remind you of the need to maintain the intestinal microflora, because it is the bacteria in it that are responsible for converting fiber into nutrients or toxins – that’s how you get lucky. But doctors say that the result of such transformations is always visible to the naked eye: if there are no problems, there is no increased gas formation and an unpleasant odor in feces.
About product groups
In order to properly combine foods, they must be properly qualified. It is worth noting that in different sources they may be different, but the main ones are considered:
- greens and;
- berries and fruits;
- and seeds;
- vegetable oils and animal fats (butter);
- spices and;
- nutritional supplements;
- drinks and water.
И если в отношении последних все более или менее понятно, то первая группа – зерновые, требует уточнения. Дело в том, что сами зерновые издревле занимали в нашем рационе особое место. Лучшее тому подтверждение хранится в копилке народной мудрости. Но сегодня полностью перейти на каши и остаться при этом абсолютно здоровым не всегда возможно. Просто потому, что имеет значение способ переработки зерен.
Healthy food is considered when, during processing, all the vitamins and minerals present in the original raw materials have been preserved in it. Needless to say, in this case, it will be able to properly assimilate and have a positive effect on the body. By the way, this is the basis of one of the principles of healthy eating, which says that nature knows how best.
Accordingly, a grain product turns out to be useful only if its “integrity” is preserved. The shell or embryo was separated from the grain – it lost useful substances, which in some cases play a decisive role in the process of assimilating other substances from it, for example, which is contained in the inner part of the grains. And all would be fine, but over time, the use of such food can lead to the development of chronic diseases associated with metabolism. A striking example of this is diabetes mellitus, which appears “out of nowhere” when switching to refined sugar.
Therefore, you need to remember which cereals consist of whole or slightly processed grains. This,,, millet, wheat,. By consuming them, you can enrich the body with proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, trace elements and dietary fiber. By the way, unpolished “brown” rice deserves special attention, in which there is a protein shell with B vitamins, as well as whole grain baked goods without yeast and sugar – special types of bread and well-known loaves of bread.
Good news for vegetarians: with the help of cereals and breads, you can replenish both carbohydrate deficiencies and protein deficiencies. The main thing is to combine them with, fresh cheese or legumes.
Product Compatibility Principles
Below are the basic rules that many nutritionists rely on. Meanwhile, you should not blindly follow them simply because all people are different and not all of them can be suitable for health reasons. In some cases, with digestive problems, for example, healthy and very healthy foods can be harmful.
- Cereals go well with vegetables, legumes, nuts and cheeses.
- Legumes – with grains, vegetables, or nuts. Moreover, it is not at all necessary to mix them in one plate. There are many recipes for vegetarian dishes with several ingredients that meet these principles: vegetable stews with green peas, rice with nuts or seeds, vegetable soups with wholemeal bread.
- Vegetables – with legumes, cheeses, nuts, grains, fruits, dairy foods. True, in the case of, it is better to give up flour (bread) and sugar immediately after eating it, otherwise the starch contained in it helps to inhibit digestion.
- Fruit – with cottage cheese, nuts, seeds, honey, wheat germ (other grains combined with fruit can cause gas production). Another thing is dishes in which these two groups of foods were subject to a common heat treatment, for example, fruit pies, pilafs, casseroles or dumplings. Although you should not get carried away with them due to the large amount of sugar in the composition. The latter, together with starch, will interfere with the absorption of nutrients.
- Sour vegetables and fruits – they deserve special attention, since they are combined only with nuts, cheeses and some types of fermented milk foods, except for cottage cheese. Therefore, it is better to eat snacks from them separately or eat at least 10 minutes before the main meal. There is a perception that tomatoes work well with tofu and other soy foods, but not with grains, potatoes and legumes, which is confirmed by the personal experience of vegetarians themselves. Those note the appearance of heaviness in the stomach and loss of strength, which lasts up to several hours. However, this somehow does not affect vegetarian recipes that involve seasoning rice or potato salad with juice.
- Vegetable oils and animal fats – with almost all foods. True, it is not recommended to combine these two types of oil within the same dish, otherwise digestive problems cannot be avoided.
- Greens – with proteins, dairy foods, vegetables, grains.
- Nuts – with fruits, fermented milk foods, dried fruits, cereals,.
- Drinks don’t go well with anything. The habit of drinking food can actually result in stomach discomfort. Simply because the liquid dilutes the gastric juice and inhibits the digestion of food. Therefore, if it is, it is better to refuse it.
Eating “capricious” foods
There are only 2 of them, but they are highlighted in a separate section, since, due to the peculiarities of their composition, they are poorly combined with any other foods. Therefore, it is better to use them separately or not at all, as nutritionists joke. This is about:
- 1 – it should be taken as a separate food product, and not as a regular drink. The fact is that in the stomach, under the influence of acid, it coagulates. And if there are other foods in it, it simply envelops them, preventing their processing under the influence of gastric juice. As a result, this only delays the process of digesting food and turns into increased gas formation and discomfort. The exception is sweet fruits, berries, honey, butter and some cereals, from which milk soups or cereals are made for children.
- 2 and – they should be consumed between meals or 15 to 20 minutes before meals.
Product compatibility is a whole science, the rules and principles of which Dr.Hay first spoke about in the 30s of the last century. And although at first glance they seem complex and confusing, in practice they are quickly and easily learned. And the best reward for observing them is not only excellent health, but also an improvement in your own health.
Therefore, study them, apply and be healthy!