Sweetie, or golden sweetie, is a relatively new fruit of the Citrus genus, which recently appeared on the shelves of stores in our country. This hybrid was created by crossing a white grapefruit with a pomelo in a California laboratory in the 1970s. In 1981, a patent was issued for the fruit, and already in 1984, Israeli breeders gave it the name “Sweetie”.
Breeders originally planned to develop a sweeter, less bitter grapefruit.
Other names for the formation are pomelite, white grapefruit and oroblanco. Sweetie plantations are located in Israel, India, Japan, China, Italy, Spain, Hawaii, America and Portugal. The plant is successfully grown in indoor conditions and does not occur at all in the wild.
What does it look like
The fruits grow on spreading trees, up to 4-10 meters in height. The leaves of the tree are a bit unusual and consist of 3 parts. The middle leaf is large, two more smaller ones grow on the sides of it. On plantations, trees are pruned and do not allow them to grow above 2.5 meters, so that it is convenient to harvest.
Sviti blooms with white fragrant flowers, which are collected in several pieces in small brushes. Sweetie are very similar to grapefruits, but are smaller. The fruit grows up to 10-12 cm in diameter. The peel is fine-pored, dense and green, and remains the same color even when the fruit is fully ripe.
Sometimes the peel may take on a yellowish tint. The flesh is white, almost pitted. The slices are separated by bitter, thick white partitions. Sweeties are similar in taste to pomelo and grapefruit, but softer and sweeter. The fruit has a very pleasant aroma, combining the smell of pine needles, citrus fruits and greenery.
Composition and calorie content
- Protein 0.76 g
- Fat 0.29 g
- Carbohydrates 9.34 g
- Caloric content 57.13 kcal
Like all citrus fruits, Sweeties are rich in valuable elements – vitamins, minerals, biologically active substances. There is no less vitamin C in a fruit than in a grapefruit. Sweetie pulp contains carbohydrates, a small amount of fat and protein, as well as dietary fiber and fiber.
Fruits contain many useful substances, a lot of ascorbic acid, vitamin A and group B, carbohydrates, essential oils, fiber, antioxidants, enzymes, organic acids, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, fluorine, phosphorus, zinc, silicon. The enzymes lipase, maltase, amylase and lactase help the body break down complex substances that enter the digestive tract with food.
Sweetie improves tissue respiration, helps to strengthen the nervous system, strengthens teeth and bones, and supports normal muscle and brain function. Fruits contribute to the elimination of harmful substances from the body, help to maintain good physical shape. The aroma of the essential oil of the fruit has a positive effect on the nervous system and soothes and improves mood.
There are only 58 kcal per 100 g of fruits, therefore they are often included in dietary food. There are special weight loss diets that are developed using the fruit. You need to eat Sweetie in the morning or for dinner, in combination with protein foods. Vitamin smoothies and cocktails must be added to the diet. Such nutrition, combined with physical activity, will help you lose extra pounds.
Sweeties are very useful for the human body, as:
- lowers blood cholesterol;
- normalizes water balance;
- strengthens the immune system;
- normalizes blood pressure;
- accelerates tissue regeneration;
- helps to get rid of apathy and depression;
- restores microflora;
- prevents the development of oncology;
- tones up;
- improves digestion and metabolism;
- slows down aging;
- lowers blood sugar;
- improves vision;
- relieves puffiness;
- improves attention and concentration.
The fruits have the following properties:
- wound healing
In cosmetology, the peel and pulp of Sweetie are used. The juice and essential oil moisturize and nourish the skin well, improve cell regeneration, slow down the aging of the skin of the face and hands, heal abrasions and wounds.
If this is your first time trying the fruit, don’t eat too much. Try a small bite and wait a while. People with an allergic reaction to citrus fruits and intolerance to certain components in the fruit should be especially careful.
Before using the oil for the first time, first put a couple of drops on your wrist. If the skin reacts normally, does not turn red or start itching, you can use the oil for medical and cosmetic purposes.
It is not recommended to eat Sweetie for the following diseases:
- increased acidity;
- complex forms of jade;
- stomach ulcer.
Pregnant women need to carefully introduce sweats into their diet, especially after the second trimester. With allergies and gastrointestinal diseases, it is better for pregnant women to refuse fetuses. It is not recommended to give fruit to children under 8 years of age.
Basically, the fruits are eaten fresh, peeled from the skin and partitions, or cut across the fruit and remove the pulp with a spoon. In cooking, Sweetie are used to prepare meat, vegetable and fruit salads, marmalade, it is added to sauces, ice cream, soufflés and drinks.
Sweetie are used to prepare desserts and candied fruits, which improve the taste and aroma of confectionery. An exotic fruit salad with tomatoes, herbs and soft cheese, seasoned with olive oil, is very tasty.
Jams and jams are made from the fruits, which have an exquisite taste. If you put a slice of fruit in tea, the drink will become not only more aromatic, but also useful. Sweetie are often used to decorate various dishes. The fruits go well with poultry, seafood, vegetables and mushrooms, especially champignons. They are very fond of Sweetie in Thailand, where they prepare drinks, various snacks and add them to dishes.
Chicken and sweetie salad
- 50 g crackers;
- half of the sweet fruit;
- 100 g of processed cheese;
- 100 g chicken fillet.
- Boil the meat in salted water, cool and cut into small pieces.
- If the crackers are large, cut or break each in half.
- Cut the processed cheese into cubes.
- Peel the Sweetie and cut into small pieces.
- Combine ingredients, add mayonnaise and stir.
- Place the salad on a plate and garnish with fresh herbs.
How to choose Sweetie
- The green color of the skin does not mean that it is not mature, it is its natural color.
- The peel of a mature sweat does not have to have spots, cracks, dents, and other imperfections. The freshest fruit has a smooth, solid greenish color, depending on the variety, it can have a yellow color.
- A shiny skin usually means that its surface is covered with wax, when choosing a strand it is better to take fruits without this artificial shine.
- Be sure to pay attention to the weight of the fruit. The sweet fruit should not be light, even at small sizes the ripe sweet is quite heavy. If you choose Sweetie and it is light, then a huge part is its thick skin.
- The fundamental indicator of the ripeness of the fruit is its smell. The ripe fruit of the sviti has a pleasant sweetish smell with a little bitterness, if the smell is sour, the fact is that this fruit is unripe.