This exotic word means small white grit, which in Soviet times was considered quite a trivial product and sold in almost any grocery store. Today, however, sago turned out to be undeservedly forgotten and fell into the category of curiosities.
There are two types of sago: real and faux. Real made from certain types of palm trees. Such trees can be found in South Asia and India. By the way, where sago is a staple food.
And there is also artificial; it is made from potato or corn starch. Of course, it has all the useful properties of these foods. To buy natural cereals, sago now is mainly possible in online stores.
This cereal has almost no taste but absorbs other foods’ odors, and the taste is the main reason for sago’s unique properties. Indeed, the grain is a chameleon: it will be what you want — the part of a soup, a main dish, bakery, or dessert.
Composition and useful properties
We are talking about natural sago, which is richer in composition than its substitutes. Sago groats contain proteins, fats, simple carbohydrates, dietary fiber, starch, and sugar. It contains vitamins such as E, PP, choline, slightly to a lesser extent H, vitamins of group B, A. The sago’s mineral composition is also diverse; it includes titanium, phosphorus, boron, calcium, molybdenum, vanadium, potassium, iron, iodine, silicon, zirconium, magnesium, copper, strontium, zinc, etc.
There are very few calories in sago, and it is very well absorbed. Among other advantages of this product, one can also note the absence of gluten (gluten) and complex proteins, which the cereals common in Europe cannot boast of. The harm of these two substances is their high allergy; they can also cause celiac disease or inflammation of the small intestine. For these reasons people successfully use sago in their diets and is a substitute for many other cereal kinds for various diseases.
Energy value of the Sago product:
- Proteins: 16 g.
- Fat: 1 g.
- Carbohydrates: 70 g.
100 g of sago contains, on average, about 336 kcal.
Useful properties of sago:
- The absence of gluten complex proteins, which is great news for those who have gluten intolerance. For these reasons, sago has been successfully used in diets and is a substitute for many other grains in various diseases.
- Sago contains proteins, fats, simple carbohydrates, dietary fiber, starch, and sugar. It has vitamins such as E, PP, choline, a slightly lesser extent N, the B vitamins, and A.
- The sago’s mineral composition is also rich; it includes titanium, phosphorus, boron, calcium, molybdenum, vanadium, potassium, iron, iodine, silicon, zirconium, magnesium, copper, strontium, zinc, etc.
- Calories in sago are quite a bit, and it is very well absorbed. It is believed that this cereal can give you the daily norm of all necessary minerals. Sago can be used for all children and adults.
What to cook from sago? We chose 3 dishes: porridge, dessert, and main dish.
The harm of sago and contraindications
Sago can be harmful due to its high-calorie content since there is 335 kcal per 100 g. Besides, cereals are rich in simple carbohydrates, which, with the increased use of the product, lead to weight gain. Sago is not good in case of individual intolerance to the product is detected.
Cooks use Sago in cooking to prepare numerous dishes from different cuisines of the world. This cereal does not have its own taste, but it perfectly absorbs other foods’ aroma and flavors. It goes well with rice, which allows you to get an original porridge.
Sago can be an ingredient of first and second courses. Cooks often use Groats as a natural thickener. You can add it to a variety of drinks.
Sago is an important part of many baking recipes, and desserts, fillings, and sweets are also prepared. In India, sago flour is very popular, from which delicious tortillas are made. For dessert, you can add honey, fruits, and berries to the porridge.
How to cook sago?
We should say that artificial sago is more difficult to prepare than natural sago. This product is quite “capricious.” Each lover of this product may have his own recipes for its preparation, but let’s look at the most common option. Take 1 tbsp. Water, and 0.5 tbsp. Milk. Combine the liquids, add salt to taste, and 0.5 teaspoons of sugar. Boil and then add 3 tablespoons of cereal and cook for 25 minutes. In the end, put the pan in the oven for 5 minutes. It is recommended to put oil in the porridge before serving.
Sago porridge you may also cook in a slow cooker. This requires 4 tbsp. Milk to boil. To do this, select the Steam cooking program. This will take about 5 minutes. Then add a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp of sugar. Pour 11 tbsp of sago into boiling milk. And stir. Select the Milk Porridge setting and cook for 50 minutes. After the beep, add 20 g of oil and leave for another 10 minutes in the “Heating” mode. That’s all; delicious porridge is ready.
You can make a semi-finished product from sago that is suitable for different dishes. It is stored for several days. To do this, boil the cereal until half cooked and put it in a colander to remove excess liquid. Then spread the porridge in a thin layer on a clean towel and dry it. After that, put everything in a container and put it in the refrigerator.
- 1 tbsp. Cereal
- 1 l Water
- 0.5 l Milk
- 25 g butter
1. First, you need to wash the Cup groats in cold water. Then put in salted boiling water and cook for about half an hour, all the time stirring all the while.
2. You should mark Semi-finished porridge in a colander and drain all the water. You then pour grits into a small pan and tightly secured cover that is included in the capacity.
3. After this, it is necessary to cook porridge in the water bath for another 30 minutes. At the end of cooking, we add some milk and butter.
- 300 g Sago
- 50 g butter
- 1200 g Milk
- 200 g Sugar
- 9 PCs Egg
- 30 g Flour
- Is a good choice. Vanilla, salt
1. 800 g of milk, sago, butter, vanilla, and a pinch of salt and cook, cools, add 80 g of sugar, and 6 egg yolks (one by one).
2. Mix All foods until a homogeneous mass. Then add 6 egg whites, whipped with 40 g of sugar.
3. Grease it with butter, put the mass, and slowly bake.
4. To submit a soufflé vanilla sauce. The method to prepare the vanilla sauce: 300 g milk, 40 g of sugar, and small vanilla to boil. 100 g of cold milk, 40 g sugar, 30 g flour, 3 egg yolk good RUB and pour into the boiling milk, whisking continuously with a whisk. Remove A boiling mass from heat and add a solid foam of 3 egg whites.
Cakes of sago
- 1 Cup – sago.
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes.
- 1 egg.
- 2 tbsp of starch.
- 1/2 tsp.turmeric.(seasoning marjoram, black pepper, coriander, celery)
- dill+parsley optional
- oil for frying (ghee)
- 3 tomato
- one sweet pepper
- 1 carrot
- an onion
- greens (dill, parsley, cilantro)
- salt, spices.
Method of preparation:
- Soak sago in water for 1 hour.
- Drain the water and mix the sago with mashed potatoes. Add the egg and starch.
- With wet hands, shape the meatballs presses and make a round shape piece the size of an Apple dipped in deep-fried(in ghee), but the boiling oil.
- Fry for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Get a napkin to remove oil and layout on a dish.
- Make a sauce. Punch in a blender all the ingredients (except spices), and your Supplement will.
- Heat in a saucepan with the butter, stew the spices, and add the vegetables. Saute 5 minutes, add 50 ml. of water and simmer until the liquid is evaporated. Cool.