Recently, when getting rid of excess weight, the system of protein-carbohydrate alternation has become popular. The essence of this method of nutrition consists in changing the amount of proteins and carbohydrates consumed in a changeable manner in order to achieve a gradual, but effective and safe weight loss. As we know, low-carb diets can lead to muscle loss, mood swings, depression, and physical or mental problems associated with lack of energy.
The system of protein-carbohydrate alternation is traditionally divided into cycles, which consist of four days:
1 and 2 day – a low-carbohydrate diet, in which 3-4 g of proteins are consumed per kilogram of weight, and the amount of carbohydrates is 0,5 g. In general, it is enough to reduce the amount of carbohydrates in half, that is, reduce the consumption of vegetables and fruits in this proportion, bread foods, and cereals. At the same time, protein is added with meat, eggs, fish and poultry. High-carb foods are best avoided these days. The daily calorie intake should be 1000-1200 kk on the first day and 1200-1500 kk on the second.
3-й день – a high-carbohydrate diet, in which 5-6 g of carbohydrates per kilogram of weight are consumed, and the amount of protein is 1-1,5 g. On this day, we reduce the intake of protein to a minimum. The diet should mainly consist of vegetables, fruits, various cereals and bread foods. Some high-carbohydrate foods are allowed: sweets, chocolate. We provide the body with proteins through the use of cottage cheese, cheese and other dairy foods. The main thing on this day is not to go beyond the daily calorie content, so the amount of high-carbohydrate foods should be no more than 10-15%. Daily portion of calories – 1200-1500 cc.
4-й день – a balanced way of eating, in which 2-2,5 g of protein and 2-3 g of carbohydrates are consumed per kilogram of weight. The calorie content on this day cannot be outweighed by more than 1200 kk.
The duration of these cycles can last until the body gains the desired weight. But the standard definition of a four-day period of protein-carbohydrate alternation can be infinitely varied as you see fit. The main thing is the essence of alternation. The most common options are:
- 5 low-carb days – 2 high-carb days;
- 2 low-carbohydrate – 1 high-carbohydrate;
- 3 low carbohydrates – 1 high carbohydrate – 1 combined;
- 2 low carbohydrates – 2 high carbohydrates – 2 combined;
You can also consistently consume the calculated amount of proteins throughout the entire cycle, while the alternation should occur only with carbohydrates (changeable increase and decrease in their amount).
Recommendations for observing the protein-carbohydrate nutrition system
- 1 It is a misconception that carbohydrates should not be consumed on protein days, since they contribute to a normal mental state and mood. Also, avoiding carbohydrates will prevent you from sticking to this diet for a long time. You need to understand that it is impossible to rigidly divide foods into protein and carbohydrate. For example, many, in addition to being considered protein, also contain carbohydrates.
- 2 When losing weight, it is necessary to monitor the amount of calories consumed on protein days. In this case, the diet should be composed of low-fat foods: for example, cottage cheese (low-fat), dietary meat or fish. A deficiency of not only carbohydrates, but also fat will lead to the burning of stored reserves by the body, which contributes to the loss of excess weight.
- 3 It is recommended that you carefully plan your diet and calculate your daily protein intake on low-carb days. Carbohydrates do not need to be counted, since they are temporarily excluded, as are fats, they just need to be minimized.
- 4 The amount of protein is determined in this way: we take the value of our weight and multiply by 3. This is the daily protein intake in grams. If the weight is too high, then you can take a reduced indicator as a calculation, but at the same time you cannot take more than 10 kg. According to a certain value, we compose a daily ration. To understand How long food you need to include, you can use the food calorie table with a separate calculation of the protein, fat and carbohydrate content.
- 5 On a carbohydrate day, you do not need to do the calculation. The main thing is to consume high-carbohydrate foods: for example, various cereals, cereals, wheat pasta. It is recommended to use a special glycemic index table to distribute the saturation and benefits of a product containing carbohydrates. In it, the higher the GI, the less useful the product. For a protein-carbohydrate diet, those foods that have the lowest GI index are more suitable.
- 6 During a balanced (fourth) day, it is necessary to eat carbohydrate foods in the morning, protein foods in the afternoon, combining with carbohydrates, and in the evening exclusively protein foods.
- 7 During physical exertion, you need to understand that energy costs depend on the “severity” of the food consumed. There must be a balance between the substances obtained from food and the energy burned.
- 8 The energy value of the food consumed should be between 1200 kcal and up to 3500 kcal per day. It is necessary to plan a diet with protein-carbohydrate alternation so that it includes a certain portion (necessary for the normal functioning of the body) of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and also.
The benefits of protein-carbohydrate alternation
First of all, protein-carbohydrate alternation contributes to a smooth and effective weight loss without harm to health.
- In this food system, calorie calculations and diet planning are not at all complicated, so you can do it yourself.
- With this diet, weight is reduced by burning fat, and not by removing fluid from the body.
- Protein-carbohydrate diet promotes “untwisting” metabolism.
- The achieved results of weight loss are consolidated and then you can simply adhere to a balanced diet, and not torment yourself with constant short-term fast diets, after which the pounds thrown off are immediately restored (remember?).
- With this food system, you do not need to force your body to experience a constant feeling of hunger, on the contrary, it often happens that it is difficult for a person to eat all the necessary foods in order to achieve the desired calorie level. At the same time, mood does not deteriorate, there is no feeling of drowsiness, unlike many other food systems.
- The body does not get used to a certain level of calorie content: excess calories are not stored, and their deficiency does not lead to metabolic disturbances.
- The appearance with protein-carbohydrate alternation will not be affected. , nails and skin are normal, since the body receives all the necessary nutrients for normal functioning.
- If the goal of the diet is not only to lose weight, but also to build muscle mass, then protein-carbohydrate alternation is the most appropriate way. By adhering to this nutritional system, muscle mass grows and body fat is burned. But this only happens if you regularly go in for sports or various physical exercises, combining them with an appropriate diet. This system is ideal for athletes as it does not cause discomfort with frequent and intense physical activity.
- If you adhere to a protein-carbohydrate diet for more than a month, then the body gets used to do without sweets and other harmful foods. After the end of the diet, you can make a balanced daily diet of low-calorie foods, without dependence on excess cholesterol. This will allow you to maintain your weight and the whole body’s workout.
Dangerous properties of protein-carbohydrate alternation
- Many nutritionists question the efficacy of protein-carbohydrate alternation lasting more than three months. Since the body tends to adapt to any conditions and diet, after several cycles it will stop responding to this food system. That is why a protein-carbohydrate diet is not suitable for people with obesity problems. In this case, you will need more stringent individually designed nutrition systems that can be used exclusively under the supervision of doctors and nutritionists.
- Eating a lot of protein a day can also harm the body. Eating three grams of protein for every kilogram of weight is a very unusual diet for the body, since it will be difficult to digest this food. Therefore, such a nutritional system will be effective only when combined with constant physical activity. Exercise metabolism will accelerate and protein will therefore be better absorbed. This is the only way to help the body cope with these loads.
- Eating large amounts of protein can cause nausea, bad breath, and bad breath.