The kidneys are a paired organ of the urinary system. Their main function is to remove from the body toxic substances created by the body in the process of vital activity or entering it from the outside.
The appearance of the kidneys resembles beans. The size of one bud is about 6 cm wide and 10-12 cm long. The mass of an adult kidney is from 150 to 320 grams.
Passing through the kidneys, the blood leaves all the pollutants in the kidney tubules. Then they move to the renal pelvis, and then along the ureter are sent to the bladder.
This is interesting:
- During the day, about a quarter of the total volume of blood circulating in the body passes through the kidneys.
- Every minute, the kidneys are filtered up to 1,5 liters of blood.
- The renal vein delivers about 180 liters of blood to the kidneys every day.
- There are almost 160 km of vessels in the kidneys.
- Unlike other organs, the kidneys are present in all representatives of the fauna.
Healthy foods for the kidneys
- 1 For kidney health, you should eat foods rich in vitamin A. This vitamin is often synthesized in our body from carotene found in carrots, bell peppers, sea buckthorn, asparagus, parsley, spinach and cilantro.
- 2 Dishes containing pumpkin are very useful for the kidneys. These are pumpkin-millet porridge, pumpkin juice, pumpkin baked with dried fruits, etc. These products are useful because they contain vitamin E.
- 3 Apples and plums. These fruits contain a large amount of pectin, a substance that can bind toxins and remove them from the body.
- 4 Cranberry. Due to its cleansing properties, this berry can protect the kidneys from stone formation.
- 5 Herring and cod contain important fatty acids and vitamin D. They are especially needed during cold seasons with a limited number of sunny days.
- 6 Rosehip. Contains vitamin C.
- 7 Bran. Contains B vitamins, which improve blood flow to the kidneys.
To keep the kidneys healthy longer, the following rules must be followed:
- Eat fractionally, so as not to overload the kidneys with a massive intake of waste products.
- Try not to eat foods that irritate the renal tubules, as well as their destruction.
- Avoid foods that contain substances that contribute to the formation of stones.
- Limit salt intake, foods rich in purines and oxalic acid. Introduce a sufficient amount of vegetables and fruits, dairy products into the diet. Methods of cooking food that are useful for the kidneys: boiling, baking, light frying in butter.
Signs of kidney problems
Since the kidneys are responsible for the proper functioning of all body systems, the following signs are used to diagnose problems:
- Rough skin and cracked heels.
- Changes in the color and odor of urine when eating beets and other vegetables rich in carotene.
- Unpleasant body odor.
Treatment and cleansing of the kidneys
Herbs that have a beneficial effect on the kidneys: fireweed, St. John’s wort, field horsetail, shepherd’s purse, lingonberry leaf. It is advisable to consult with your doctor for the selection of the most suitable herbs and the method of taking them.
Watermelon cleaning. Due to its diuretic effect, watermelon is able to qualitatively “flush” the kidneys, rid them of sand and small stones. For cleansing, you should consume watermelon from 2 to 3 am, while in a bath with warm water. (The time of cleansing corresponds to the time of the activity of the kidney meridian). Several cleansing procedures are necessary during the season.
Learn more about cleaning the kidneys at home.
Foods harmful to the kidneys
- Salt. It causes water retention in the body and, as a result, edema occurs and blood pressure rises. Important: salt must be limited, and not abandoned altogether, because otherwise, renal failure may develop.
- Fatty meats, smoked meats and marinades, since they contain substances that cause spasm of the kidney vessels.
- Alcohol. Causes destruction of the renal tubules.
- Products rich in purines are prohibited: canned fish and meat, offal, meat broths.
- Spicy soups and spices. Irritating to the kidneys.
- Spinach, sorrel. Contains oxalates that can cause stone formation.