The beneficial properties of lemon are not limited to the high content of vitamin C, in addition to it, lemon contains bioflavonoids, citric and malic organic acids, vitamins D, A, B2 and B1, rutin, thiamine and other substances that have a positive effect on the human body. Lemons are great for medicinal purposes and should be included in your daily diet.
Let’s figure out how to choose and store lemons correctly:
1. For the lemon to be ripe, choose fruit with a shiny skin. Conversely, a matte rind indicates that the lemon is not yet ripe.
2. Lemon fruit should have a rich aroma that is characteristic of all citrus fruits.
3. Fruits with a thin and smooth skin are believed to be most beneficial.
4. Don’t buy lemons with dark spots and dots.
5. Ripe lemons spoil rather quickly, so for long-term storage it is better to buy slightly unripe fruits – they are harder and have a greenish tint.
6. If the lemons are too soft, then they are overripe and, at best, their taste will simply deteriorate, and at worst, they may turn out to be rotten inside. It is better not to take such lemons.
7. To get rid of the bitterness, it is necessary to pour boiling water over the lemons.
How to store lemon: 5 ways
To get the most out of lemon, do not leave it cut open – this will destroy its beneficial substances. It is best to store it in one of these ways.
- Lemon can be sliced or chopped in a blender. Then put this lemon mass in a jar, adding sugar or honey. Stir, close the lid. Add 1-2 tsp to the tea as needed. lemon mixture.
- A special lemongrass will also help in storing lemon.
- If you do not have such a device, take an ordinary saucer, pour sugar and put lemon on it (cut side down).
- If you’ve cut a lemon and don’t plan on using it anytime soon, “canning” it. And this can be done with protein. Beat the usual chicken egg white, then grease the cut and dry it. Lemon, “canned” in this way, can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- If you bought lemons in reserve, then do not store them in plastic bags. Better to wrap them in parchment paper.
What to cook with lemon
You can prepare a variety of delicious dishes with lemon. To prolong the enjoyment of lemon flavor, bake lemon cookies according to Ruslan Senichkin’s recipe – delicious and airy. And, of course, when we say “lemons”, we immediately think of lemonade and Limoncello liqueur.