- Trout habitat
- Trout meat composition
- How to choose a trout
- How to store
- Interesting Trout Facts
- Trout in terms of cosmetics
- Trout contraindications
- Taste qualities
- Cooking applications
- What products do freshwater trout work best with?
- Trout steak with sour cream sauce
Trout is a trophy specimen that every fisherman dreams of getting. The fish is very beautiful and capricious. It belongs to the salmon family.
On the trout’s body, you can find multi-colored specks that distinguish it from other family members. The fish looks very massive and seems to be tightly harmonized, but only at first glance.
Recently, more and more private fish farms have begun to pay attention to this individual. They began to breed it in artificial reservoirs. A capricious fish takes a long time to get used to artificial conditions, but it can reach large sizes and gain the required body weight with proper care.
If we consider a trout, then its body may seem disproportionate. The body is slightly compressed, but the scales are evenly located. The muzzle is a little blunt and seems very small. The predator has sharp and massive teeth. They are located in the bottom row. There are only 4 teeth in the upper jaw, but they are incorrect.
Trout is an expensive fish. It is not available in all stores. But, recently, it has become fashionable to catch it in artificial ponds. The price per kilogram is around $ 10 (depending on the type).
By their habitat, you can distinguish between sea and river trout. They differ in the size and color of the meat.
Firstly, the sea predator is much larger, and its meat has deep red color. It is found mainly off the coast of North America in the Pacific Ocean.
The river individual prefers to dwell in mountain rivers, in clean and cool water. That is why you can find this fish in Norway and other mountainous countries. This fish is also found in lakes.
It prefers to swim mainly in river mouths and closer to rapids. You can also see it near bridges. In mountain rivers, it settles near the pools but quickly leaves its habitat.
It is important for this fish that the bottom is rocky. If the fish begins to sense danger, it hides behind large rocks and driftwood.
In regions with hot summers, it prefers to migrate to areas with cold springs.
Trout meat composition
Trout is a supplier of high-quality, easily digestible protein that the body needs to build cells. Fish contains polyunsaturated acids Omega-3 and Omega-6, which successfully reduce the level of “bad” cholesterol in the blood. Trout contains B vitamins. Vitamin B3 is essential, which significantly improves the elasticity and protection of the skin.
The main beneficial mineral is phosphorus, an essential element for the growth and strengthening of bones in childhood and adolescence, and old age.
- Calories, kcal: 97
- Proteins, g: 19.2
- Fat, g: 2.1
- Carbohydrates, g: 0.0
How to choose a trout
Several traits need to be evaluated to understand whether or not fresh trout is. Among them – the smell (it should be practically unexpressed), the condition of the skin (should be elastic), fins (should not be dry and sticky), eye color (should be transparent). Fresh fish meat is elastic enough that pressing on it, there will be no dents or traces of pressing on the body.
Fresh fish are distinguished by shiny gills, the normal color of which is pink or bright red, depending on the species. If you did not see the above signs of the trout’s freshness, then you have stale fish in front of you.
How to store
It is better not to store the fish, but to cook it as soon as possible immediately after purchase. If the fish needs to be stored in the refrigerator for some reason, we recommend choosing the BioFresh mode, which will allow you to achieve the optimal storage temperature for trout – from -2 to 0 ° C. It is essential to gut the carcass before storing it.
We wash the fish before freezing in cold water both inside and outside. The carcass should be covered with a lid or wrapped in plastic wrap tightly enough. If trout needs to be stored for more than a day, then it must be pickled. Use lemon juice and table salt for pickling.
- Remove scales.
- Remove gills.
- Separate the head and cut off the fins.
- Separate the fillets carefully.
- Then remove the ridge.
- Don’t forget to cut off the tail.
- Remove ribs and bones.
- Cut the meat into pieces of a suitable size.
After that, all that remains is to prepare a delicious dish of fresh and mouth-watering trout, which will appeal to children and adults.
Interesting Trout Facts
The average calorie content of trout is 119 kcal per 100 g. Consider the calorie content of this fish in different forms:
- boiled – 90 kcal;
- smoked – 135 kcal;
- rainbow – 120 kcal;
- weak salt – 180 kcal;
- in oil – 225 kcal;
- canned – 162 kcal;
- baked – 85 kcal;
- in the pie – 130 kcal;
- sandwiches – 200 kcal;
- in a creamy sauce – 130 kcal;
- steamed 100 kcal.
Also interesting is the question of whether rainbow trout is a river or sea fish. The prefix to the name rainbow characterizes the fact that you may distinguish a crimson-red stripe along the fish’s side along the entire body, which is most noticeable in large individuals. Fun fact: the color of this iridescence cannot be described by any of the rainbow’s available colors. Therefore, this shade received its own name – salmon pink.
Firstly, regular consumption of trout helps fight serious ailments such as cancer. In addition, the presence of useful ingredients helps fight high blood pressure, improves the functioning of the central nervous system, relieves depressed mood, and improves memory.
Doctors recommend using trout for people suffering from diabetes mellitus, as well as people with heart problems. Trout is probably the only fish that is allowed for people prone to allergic reactions.
The meat of this fish is an easily digestible product that does not burden the stomach.
Trout in terms of cosmetics
This product will be appreciated by those who watch their weight and figure. In addition, in improving the quality of teeth, hair, and skin will reflect the presence of a whole bunch of useful components in trout meat.
Despite the pronounced benefits of this food, trout meat should be limited for people suffering from duodenal and stomach ulcers and people with impaired liver function.
The most important thing that experts say is that you should properly cook river trout. The fact is that parasites can be in it, so careful heat treatment is essential. It is not recommended to eat the head of a trout, as harmful components accumulate in it. Especially, this applies to the trout from the farm.
Growth hormones and antibiotics are popular to grow it. As for retail outlets, very often, unscrupulous sellers use dyes to make the fish look more attractive.
The nutritional characteristics of individuals depend on the habitat and other factors. For example, rainbow trout cruising between the sea and freshwater has a slightly nutty, sweet taste and tender flesh. It is valued more than other species of the family, and bright pink meat distinguishes it. The flesh of the fish can be red or white. The color palette depends on the nature of the feed and the quality of the water.
Freshwater trout is good salted, pickled, fried, grilled, processed in any way possible, and poured with various sauces.
What products do freshwater trout work best with?
- Spices / Condiments: Black and red peppers, sesame seeds, basil, ginger.
- Fat / Oil: olive, sunflower, butter; margarine.
- Vegetables: carrots, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers.
- Sauces: wasabi, pesto, soy.
- Fruits: lemon, orange, kiwi.
- Greens: rosemary, asparagus, dill, lettuce, parsley, celery, cilantro.
- Meat: sausage, bacon.
- Seafood: shellfish, mussels, anchovies.
- Walnut: almonds, cedar.
- Flour and flour products: rye and wheat flour, bread crumbs.
- Dairy products: sour cream, cream, yogurt, milk, hard, and processed cheese.
- Chicken egg.
- Groats: rice.
- Alcohol: dry white wine.
- Vinegar: apple cider.
- Berry: olives, olives.
If desired, the culinary specialist can create a real masterpiece from such a delicious product as freshwater trout because it has excellent nutritional characteristics.
Trout steak with sour cream sauce
The taste of baked trout in orange marinade perfectly complements the spicy sour cream sauce.
- Food (for 2 servings)
- Trout – 2 steaks (600-700 g)
- Oranges – 2 pcs.
- Salt – 50 g
- Sugar – 100 g
- Ground black pepper – 0.25 tsp
- For the sauce:
- Sour cream – 50 g
- Horseradish (sauce) – 1-2 tsp
- Fresh dill – 0.25 bunch
- Freshly squeezed orange juice – 1 tbsp. the spoon
- or apple cider vinegar – 0.5 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the ingredients for the trout steak.
- Using a fine grater, remove the zest from two oranges (or take 1 tablespoon of dry zest).
- Combine orange peel, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Mix everything thoroughly.
- Spread the trout steaks with the prepared mixture. Place the marinated fish on a wire rack or wire mesh and refrigerate for an hour.
- Then remove the steaks, rinse under running water, and dry.
- Preheat a grill pan. (Grilled steaks are delicious.) You can drizzle oil over the pan, but you don’t have to.
- Put the fish in a preheated pan. If the pan is small, it is best to fry the steaks one at a time.
- Turn on the oven to preheat.
- Fry the trout steak for 2-3 minutes on one side. Then gently turn over to the other side and fry for another 2-3 minutes. To prevent the thin pieces of the steak from falling apart, you can chop them off with a toothpick.
- Transfer the fish to a mold (you can make a tin of foil or use disposable aluminum baking tins). Pour the fat released during frying over the steaks.
- Bake trout steaks in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes at a temperature of 200-210 degrees.
- Prepare sour cream sauce for fish. To do this, wash the dill and chop finely.
- Mix sour cream, dill, horseradish, salt to taste. Squeeze out orange juice (you can use apple cider vinegar instead of juice, then the sauce will be sour).
- Stir the sour cream sauce with herbs thoroughly.
- Serve trout steak with sour cream sauce and orange slice.
- Trout is a fatty fish. Serve fresh vegetables with the steak. Boiled rice is also suitable, but in this case, it is better to divide one steak into two servings.
Enjoy your meal!