Vegetarianism is an ancient food system, the controversy over the benefits and harms of which does not subside for an instant. Participants in the discussions now and then give weighty arguments in favor of their arguments, but, in fact, you can prove everything or refute everything in two sentences. Those who describe the basic principles of vegetarianism and from year to year convince its adherents of the correctness of their choice.
It’s hard to believe, but there are only 2 basic principles behind the popular around the world power system:
- 1 the principle of nonviolence – it is called ethical, “driving”, since it is based on the firm conviction that killing for food is unacceptable. Meanwhile, in recent years, more and more vegetarians are refusing not only from animal food, but also from items of clothing made of natural leather and fur, as well as cosmetics and household chemicals from those manufacturers who conduct animal testing. This allows them to be sure that their personal lives and habits do not harm our smaller brothers.
- 2 the principle of health. In this case, we mean both the physical and the spiritual side of it. This principle perfectly illustrates the well-known expression of Socrates about what you need to eat in order to live, and not live in order to eat. Following him, vegetarians adhere to certain rules that relate to the selection, preparation and consumption of food, and also pay due attention to their psychological comfort.
Basic rules of a vegetarian diet
- You need to eat fractionally 4 – 5 times a day.
- When choosing vegetables, fruits, berries, you need to pay special attention to their quality. Good fruits – ripe, with whole skin, without rot and signs of spoilage. This is especially true for delicate, soft berries, which are more susceptible to the development of harmful microorganisms. It is also important to ensure that there are no brown and brown spots on their surface, popularly called “tan“. The fact is that they indicate improper storage, when the fruits, placed in an airtight container, simply choked from a lack of oxygen and an excess of carbon dioxide. Needless to say, eating spoiled foods is fraught with health problems. Therefore, experienced vegetarians advise, as a last resort, to take fewer fruits, but of higher quality. In addition, preference should be given to those that were grown outdoors, and not in greenhouses. Simply because they contain the maximum amount of nutrients the body needs. For the same reason, it is always best to consume seasonal vegetables.
- Cooking with love. This rule comes from the scientific statement that water, which is especially rich in some vegetables and fruits, is able to change its structure depending on the influence of external factors. Moreover, even the words or thoughts of the person who worked with these products at the time of cooking are important.
- Make sure that the prepared dishes have an attractive appetizing appearance. There is an opinion that the degree of assimilation of nutrients directly depends on a person’s mood and appetite. Accordingly, the purpose of this rule is the need to excite it.
- Avoid excessive chopping of food during cooking. The fact is that many of them, as a result of this, can start up the juice and lose along with it the aroma and most of the nutrients. It is also important to cut the flesh around the stalk and “tails” of vegetables, as they accumulate the maximum amount of nitrates.
- Always give preference to freshly prepared meals. Long-term storage and additional heat treatment can negatively affect the amount of nutrients that are in food.
- Chilled vegetables and fruits should be warmed to room temperature before eating, ideally naturally. This is because the digestion of cold food entails large energy losses.
- , berries, fruits and dried fruits, if possible, should be consumed in between main meals, as in this case they are better absorbed.
- Eat slowly, chewing food thoroughly. This rule, familiar to many from childhood, has a serious rationale: food that is crushed as much as possible in the oral cavity significantly reduces the body’s energy consumption for its digestion and promotes its better assimilation.
- Observe drinking regimen.
- Gradually eliminate sugar and sweets from your diet, replacing them with dried fruits,.
- Stop drinking alcoholic beverages and smoking.
- Lead a healthy and active lifestyle: spend enough time outdoors, go for a walk before going to bed, play sports. It is interesting that it is sport that allows you to achieve psychological comfort. Each vegetarian has his own preferences in it, however, as practice shows, most of them sooner or later begin to practice yoga. After all, it combines spiritual, physical and mental practices that allow you to manage your mental state.
There is an opinion that words are not always able to describe the full depth of beliefs. However, in the case of vegetarianism, they are generally superfluous. For them all speaks two of its main principles: the principle of non-violence and the principle of health, and this is one of its many advantages!