General description of the disease
Celiac disease is an inherited condition in which the body cannot tolerate gluten, a protein in the gluten of cereals. Gluten ingestion in people with this disease can cause intestinal inflammation and severe digestive problems. Other names for celiac disease are Guy-Herter-Heibner disease, celiac disease, intestinal infantilism.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Weakened immunity.
- Congenital features of the small intestine, which lead to increased sensitivity of its cells.
- The presence of an infection that can lead to a change in the receptor apparatus.
The main signs of celiac disease are:
- 1Growth retardation;
- 2Hypotrophy, or eating disorder;
- 3Change in blood composition;
- 4Decreased blood sugar;
- 8Lack of iron, zinc, calcium and phosphorus in the body;
- 10Pain in the stomach
- 11Upset stools, offensive white, gray stool;
- 12Nausea and vomiting;
- 13Fast fatiguability.
Distinguish between typical celiac disease and atypical, in which only the upper part of the small intestine suffers, which leads to diseases such as osteoporosis, anemia due to nutritional deficiencies, such as calcium or iron.
Healthy foods for celiac disease
Celiac disease is a chronic condition whose symptoms can be dulled by a gluten-free diet. However, such restrictions on food should not affect the normal functioning of the body as a whole. Therefore, it is important to observe the principles of the most complete and proper nutrition. It is also advisable to eat those foods that were prepared at home and, especially, by the person who knows about the diagnosis. In food service establishments, there is a risk that gluten will get into the dish even from the kitchen utensils. Moreover, in small doses, it is also harmful for people with celiac disease.
- Useful cereals such as rice, buckwheat, millet, corn. They do not contain gluten, moreover, they are nutritious, they are a rich source of nutrients and energy. Complex carbohydrates, which are in their composition, allow the body not to feel hunger for as long as possible and at the same time to feel great.
- Eating meat, fish and eggs is allowed, since these products contain complete animal protein. The addition of a small amount of fat (olive oil, butter, or oil from seeds of non-toxic plants) is allowed.
- Vegetables, fruits, freshly squeezed juices are useful, as they perfectly saturate the body with useful vitamins and minerals, and also have a positive effect on digestion.
- You can eat all kinds of nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pistachios, peanuts). They are considered protein foods. In addition, in terms of their mineral composition, they are almost 3 times richer than fruits.
- It is recommended to eat offal, egg yolk, beef, spinach, crayfish, as they are rich in iron, which is involved in the formation of hemoglobin in the blood, and do not contain gluten.
- Green vegetables (cucumber, cabbage, peppers, spinach, celery), as well as milk and dairy products (in the absence of lactose intolerance) saturate the body with calcium, and it, among other things, has an anti-inflammatory effect.
- All dried fruits, potatoes, fresh fruits are useful, as they contain potassium, which helps to remove fluid from the body.
- Meat, milk, buckwheat, rice, millet, corn, green vegetables contain magnesium, which is necessary for energy production and transport of nutrients.
- Cheese, milk, meat, buckwheat, rice and corn are also beneficial due to their high zinc content, which helps human growth and development.
- It is useful to eat fish, corn, buckwheat and rice, as they contain copper, which is necessary for the synthesis of blood hemoglobin.
- Eggs, oil, fish, buckwheat, rice are useful, as they saturate the body with selenium, which is an antioxidant.
- Do not forget about eating the liver, as well as yellow vegetables and fruits (potatoes, yellow apples, melon, pineapple, cauliflower), as they contain vitamin A, which helps the growth and development of tissues in the body, and also improves immunity.
- Citrus fruits (lemon, tangerine, orange), as well as parsley, peppers, strawberries, melon, cabbage are rich in vitamin C, which helps to remove toxic substances from the body.
- Liver, dairy products, eggs, green vegetables are rich in folic acid, which is essential for the normal functioning of the digestive system, as well as for the formation of new cells.
- In addition, egg yolk, liver and dairy products contain vitamin P, which increases the body’s resistance to infections.
- The consumption of cabbage, dairy products and green vegetables enriches the body with vitamin K, which takes part in the energy processes in the body, and also helps to normalize the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Baked goods can be eaten, but they must be prepared without the addition of starch and flour of prohibited cereals. Such flour is easily replaced by corn or any other permitted cereal flour.
- From drinks you can use black tea, rosehip broth, weak coffee, herbal teas.
Traditional methods of treating celiac disease
There is an expression that celiac disease is not a disease, but a way of life. Unfortunately, there are no traditional medicine recipes that can cure this disease, as well as drugs for celiac disease. It is a genetic disease that you can live with by following a gluten-free (gluten-free) diet, which, incidentally, can improve the condition of a person suffering from celiac disease.
Dangerous and harmful foods for celiac disease
It is very important to pay attention to their composition when buying products in a store. After all, the health of a person suffering from celiac disease directly depends on adherence to a gluten-free diet. If the products contain wheat flour, wheat starch, flavorings, brewer’s yeast, it means that they contain gluten. Also, the presence of gluten in the composition is indicated by the presence of E-160b, E-150a, E-150d, E-636, E953, E-965.
- Wheat, rye, barley are prohibited due to their high gluten content. Some people with celiac disease may develop symptoms of the disease, as well as intestinal inflammation, after eating oats and oats.
- Products containing starch are prohibited – beans, peas, chickpeas, lentils due to the presence of gluten.
- It is important to use milk and dairy products with caution, especially in the first months, since the inflamed mucous membrane may not accept lactose (milk sugar), which can eventually be returned to the diet. Also, some people with this disease, especially children, have an intolerance to chicken meat for the same reason.
- Bread, as well as products made from oatmeal, wheat, rye, barley flour, pasta and semolina, baked goods with the use of yeast, are prohibited, as they contain gluten.
- Some sausages, including sausages, canned meat and fish, ice cream, mayonnaise, ketchup, sauces, convenience foods, chocolate, instant coffee and cocoa powder, soy products, instant soups, bouillon cubes, products containing malt extract can also contain gluten in their composition, so their use is undesirable.
- You can not use kvass, beer and vodka, as they can also contain gluten, in addition, alcohol poisons the body and reduces its protective functions.
- Do not eat pickles and pickled foods, as the vinegar that is part of them contains gluten. And he, in turn, is not allowed in the diet of people with celiac disease.
The administration is not responsible for any attempt to use the information provided, and does not guarantee that it will not harm you personally. The materials cannot be used to prescribe treatment and make a diagnosis. Always consult your specialist doctor!