It comes from the Cucurbitaceae family, is a relative of the cucumber and false-berry… And ше is sweet and very aromatic. Good thirst quencher and a lot of fun in the summer heat. This is all, of course, about the melon! Why is it good, what is useful, and what delicious dishes you can cook with it – read in this review.
Our Ukrainian melon becomes available from the last week of July, all of August and September, we can enjoy this wonderful culture. But even in season, we have available a wide range of different types of melons, but everything is brought and is not a local product.
How to pick a good melon
When choosing a melon, inspect it; it must be free of stains, cracks, and dents. The fragrance is rich, and the crust is elastic when pressed with your finger; it should spring. The tail of ripe melon should be dry, and the soft nose.
Useful properties of melon
- Melon is rich in vitamins B1, B2, PP, And C. it has a lot of iron; besides, it is rich in potassium, calcium, sodium and chlorine, carotene, folic and ascorbic acids.
- This berry is low in calories and contains only 33 calories per 100 grams of the product.
- Melon is necessary for exhaustion and anemia, atherosclerosis, and other cardiovascular diseases.
- If you are taking antibiotics – melon able to reduce their toxicity.
- Due to enzymes’ content, it is perfectly absorbed by the intestines and helps its normal operation.
- Doctors recommend eating the melon for any disease of the liver and stones in the kidneys and the bladder.
- Melon improves the immune system, has a calming effect on the nervous system.
- Melon is truly a secret weapon to female beauty because the silicon will retain the freshness of your skin and hair health.
- But the enzyme superoxide dismutase lifts your spirits, relieves insomnia, fatigue, and irritability.
- However, be careful. The melon is not recommended on an empty stomach and to combine with other foods. Eat it between meals.
- Melon is contraindicated in breastfeeding mothers, diabetes, gastric ulcer, and 12 duodenal ulcer, intestinal disorders.
How to use a melon
Melon is mainly consumed fresh. And dried, made into jerky. It’s used to make jam, melon honey, jam, jam, marmalade, and candied fruit. Also, the pickled melon. And it makes wonderful fruity sorbets.
For more about melon health benefits and harms – read our big article: