A violent cough is always unpleasant. They cause a sore throat, make breathing difficult, and interfere with normal sleep at night. You can deal with them with the help of drugs or alternative methods of treatment. One of these are homemade cough drops, which are easy to make on your own in just a few minutes.
Food & mood invites you to make lollipops according to the author’s recipe Elena Gabaidulina, culinary specialist, creator of the art workshop of caramel “Caramelena”
- 300 gr. Sugar
- 100 ml Water
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar or table vinegar, from 4% to 9%
- Lemon juice or apple broth.
- 1 gr. Ground spices: cardamom, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric.
- 5 pieces. Carnation.
1. Into a stainless steel pot with a volume of up to 1,5 liters. pour sugar. It is desirable that the pan has high or medium height sides. And so that it is not very wide at the bottom, since the sugar can burn out. Do not take more than 16 cm in diameter.
2. Slowly pour sugar with cool drinking water or pre-prepared apple broth (the principle of cooking compote – caramel will be more aromatic). All the sugar should get wet and the residual water on top of the sugar should be 1cm.
3. Be sure to stir the sugar well, picking it up from the bottom with a wooden stick (a stick for sushi is perfect) and set it on maximum heat.
4. Cook until boiling, then add vinegar.
5. After vinegar, we add the specified spices (all or selectively). Please note that some spices are contraindicated for children under 3 years old, carefully read the contraindications of the ingredients. You can add food coloring, preferably gel, rather than dry, as the dry color may not completely dissolve. But without the dye, because of the spices, the caramel will have a rich amber color.
6. Add ginger or lemon juice, it will give the cough caramel a spicy taste.
7. Caramel is cooked until a thick dense foam appears, from 15 to 20 minutes with a volume of 300 grams of sugar. The readiness is checked with a wooden stick: it is necessary to stir the caramel with a stick and quickly lower it into a glass of cold water. If the caramel on a stick is hard and doesn’t stick to the glass, it’s ready.
8. Can be poured into silicone molds that can withstand temperatures from 165 degrees. Or – pour in small circles on white parchment. You can also sprinkle the icing sugar on a rimmed baking sheet, flatten and make small holes with your finger or a stick. Then pour the caramel directly into these holes.
9. Want to make caramel on a stick? Then after you pour it into silicone molds or on parchment and it grabs a little, place a wooden stick in the caramel.
You can store caramel in the refrigerator or in a cool, cool place in a package or in a closed box if the caramel is sprinkled with powdered sugar.