- Useful foods for encephalitis
- Nutrition for other diseases:
General description of the disease
This is an inflammatory brain disease.
Classification of encephalitis, its types, causes and symptoms:
Primary (proceeds as an independent disease):
- Epidemic (Encephalitis Econo or lethargic, encephalitis A) – the cause is a virus that infects a person by contact or airborne droplets. Symptoms: a sharp rise in temperature up to 40 degrees, pain and aches in the joints, increased sweating, sleep disturbances (the patient may have insomnia or hypersomnia), confused consciousness, often mental problems (may be delirium or euphoria). Complications: diplopia, gaze paralysis, strabismus.
- Tick-borne – this species is characterized by seasonality (the most likely to get sick in the spring-summer period), the pathogen is a tick infected with a virus. The transmission mechanism is through an insect bite. The first signs of encephalitis after a tick bite are nausea and vomiting, severe headaches, fear of light, and fever. Also, convulsive and epileptic seizures, paralysis of the neck were recorded.
- Mosquito (Japanese or encephalitis B). Carriers are mosquitoes, birds and infected people. The disease begins abruptly: the body temperature rises, the patient is very chilly, nauseous and disturbed by vomiting, there is severe weakness and pain in the muscles. Then his consciousness is confused, there may be severe convulsions, tremors of the limbs, in severe cases, the nerve endings of the skull are affected (bulbar paralysis occurs). The death rate, according to statistics, is 50% and occurs in the first week of infection.
- Herpetic – occurs due to the presence of the herpes virus in the body, which affects the cerebral cortex and white matter. There is a long and slow course of the disease (due to the skill of the virus, it will remain in the body for a long time). In the acute course of the disease, problems arise with the coordination of movements, orientation in space and time. In this case, there is a fever, gag reflexes, severe headaches, apraxia and aphasia.
Secondary (appears against the background of a certain disease):
- Toxic-hemorrhagic (influenza) – occurs as a result of the flu. It manifests itself in the form of the main symptom of the flu, also characterized by severe weight loss, sleep disturbances. There may be complications in the form of paralysis, epilepsy, or even coma.
- Encephalomyelitis (measles encephalitis) – the disease can occur on the 5th day after a measles rash, while the patient’s condition worsens: the temperature rises to a maximum, the person becomes too apathetic and lethargic (this condition can develop into a coma). This is a typical course of measles encephalitis. With an atypical course, the patient is overexcited, can be delirious. In rare cases, epileptic seizures are observed. Due to the fact that this type of encephalitis affects the facial and optic nerves, ataxia, paralysis, chorea, myelitis (transverse) may develop.
- Encephalitis arising against the background of rubella / chickenpox – begins in the period from the 2nd to the 8th day of chickenpox or rubella: the infected person becomes drowsy, coordination of movements is impaired, convulsions begin, paralysis of the upper and lower extremities may overtake.
In addition, the causes of encephalitis can be various toxic, infectious-allergic, allergic factors.
Separate groups of encephalitis:
- Polyseason – the causes of the occurrence have not yet been precisely investigated, with this type of encephalitis, the abducens, oculomotor, facial nerves are damaged, clouding of consciousness arises, which can lead to a soporous state or falling into a coma. Seizures, hyperkinesis, various paralysis are mainly observed.
- Toxoplasmous – there is an increase in temperature, often with complications in the form of pneumonia, pharyngitis, conjunctivitis, monocytosis and myocarditis.
- Polyencephalitis – the inflammatory process takes place in the gray matter of the brain.
- Leukoencephalitis – the white matter of the brain is affected by the virus.
- Panencephalitis – white and gray matter of the brain is affected.
Encephalitis, like all diseases, can occur in three forms: acute, subacute and chronic. It should be noted that toxoplasmotic encephalitis cannot proceed in an acute form.
Useful foods for encephalitis
- 1 lean meat and fish (only boiled or steamed);
- 2 small crumbly cereals and noodles;
- 3 fermented milk products (kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt, sourdough), butter and sour cream (not high in fat);
- 4 drinks: jelly, compotes, mineral water, weak tea with lemon (it is possible with milk), fruit juices (not too concentrated);
- 5 bakery products from 2-3 varieties of flour, crackers, biscuit biscuits;
- 6 fruits and vegetables without coarse fiber and large hard bones.
Traditional medicine for encephalitis
You need to drink decoctions and infusions of mint, motherwort, lemon balm, periwinkle, peony, valerian roots and golden root, cyanosis, Baikal skullcap, hop cones, hay dust, weeping grass, hawthorn, shepherd’s purse, mordovnik.
It is necessary to combine herbs and select the collection (herbs) separately for each patient and depending on the clinical manifestations (for example, mint, valerian, peony, lemon balm will not work for a patient with drowsiness and lethargy – they help to calm down and normalize sleep; and hawthorn should not be given to an overly excited patient , periwinkle and golden root – they have a tonic effect).
To prepare 0,5 liters of broth, 1 tablespoon of the herb or collection will be required. You need to insist half an hour. Take the resulting broth three times a day. The duration of treatment should be at least 14 days.
These herbs will calm the nervous system, relieve pain and convulsive syndromes, and reduce intoxication of the body.
For severe cramps, massage can be helpful.
In order for the patient not to get lost in time and dates, there should always be a clock and a calendar near him.
Dangerous and harmful foods for encephalitis
- spicy, smoked, salty, pickled, fatty dishes;
- sweet soda, fast food;
- rich pastries and bakery products from puff and shortcrust pastry;
- heavy cereals: buckwheat, barley;
- vegetables and fruits with coarse fiber and seeds: radishes, cucumbers, radishes, turnips, currants, gooseberries, raspberries, figs, dates;
- mayonnaise, sauces, seasonings.
This list of foods can lead to even greater intoxication of the body (it occurs due to toxins of carriers of the disease), to a violation of the water-salt balance and provoke allergic reactions, which will further aggravate the current situation.
The administration is not responsible for any attempt to use the information provided, and does not guarantee that it will not harm you personally. The materials cannot be used to prescribe treatment and make a diagnosis. Always consult your specialist doctor!