Crucian carp is a fish that is found in almost all bodies of water where there is water. Crucian carp survives when other fish species die. This is due to the fact that crucian carp can burrow into silt and winter in such conditions, being in a state of suspended animation. Catching crucian carp is an interesting activity. In addition, this fish has quite tasty meat, so many healthy and tasty dishes can be prepared from it.
Crucian carp is a prominent representative of the carp family and the genus of the same name – the genus of crucian carp. The crucian carp has a high body compressed from the sides. The dorsal fin is long, and the back itself is thick. The body is covered with relatively large, smooth to the touch, scales. The color of the fish may vary slightly, depending on the habitat.
In nature, there are 2 types of crucian carp: silver and gold. The most common species is the silver carp. There is another species – decorative, which is artificially bred and is known to many aquarists under the name “goldfish”.
Calorie content of crucian carp
Crucian carp meat has a high protein content, its caloric content is 87 kcal per 100 g of fresh product.
100 g of boiled crucian carp contains 102 kcal, and the energy value of carp cooked in the heat is 126 kcal per 100 g. Moderate consumption of crucian carp will not lead to obesity.
- Nutritional value per 100 grams:
- Proteins, gr 17.7
- Fat, gr 1.8
- Carbohydrates, gr –
- Ash, gr 1.6
- Water, gr 79
- Caloric content, kcal 87
Useful properties of crucian carp
Crucian carp contains up to 60% of edible parts in the body, that is, even more than carp. The fat content of crucian carp reaches 6–7%, the protein content is 18% of live weight. Fish is practically the only product that contains a large number of fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, C, D, E and B vitamins.
It is rich in iodine, manganese, copper and zinc, especially from the sea. There is a lot of iodine in the tissues of benthic fish (cod, flounder, catfish, crucian carp, etc.). This fish, along with chicken meat, is one of the best sources of high quality protein, which contains all the essential amino acids necessary for the body.
Young people who eat a lot of fish since childhood are more likely to succeed in school. The dependence of intelligence on the amount of fish eaten is very significant – visual-spatial and speech abilities increase by 6%. And this is from one fish dish a week! And the increased content of fish in the diet of young people has become the reason, according to Swedish researchers, an increase in mental abilities almost twofold.
Fish generally turned out to be a very useful product for the mental development of children. Therefore, it is advisable to eat fish at least once a week. The inclusion of fatty fish in the diet of a pregnant woman has a beneficial effect on the visual acuity of the unborn child.
According to scientists from the University of Bristol, who discovered this pattern, the reason for this is the substances found in fish oil. They accelerate the maturation of the baby’s brain. The ingredients that have proven to be so important for a child are fatty acids that are necessary for the growth of nerve cells.
They are found not only in fish, but also in breast milk. However, they are not included in even the best artificial mixtures. This is why scientists are suggesting adding fish oil to formula feeds.
Harm to health
You should not include fried crucian carp in your diet for people suffering from gastrointestinal diseases. And it’s not just the extra calories. When frying, most of the nutrients are lost, that is, the product becomes almost neutral, if not harmful.
The load on the body increases greatly, the pancreas and liver are under attack. Therefore, if you adhere to the principles of a healthy diet, it is recommended to eat crucian carp in boiled or stewed form.
Can be baked in foil or fried in a Teflon pan, with a minimum amount of oil, without flour or other additives.
How to choose fresh crucian carp
When choosing fresh carp, pay special attention to the gills and stomach. The former should be red or pink, and the latter should not be swollen.
Cooking crucian carp
Karasi are popular in the cooking of a large number of countries, including Russia. An experienced chef can make a real culinary masterpiece out of crucian carp, which, in general, is not surprising, since the crucian carp meat is tasty, tender and juicy.
Carp meat has one drawback – the smell of mud. However, getting rid of it is quite simple. Before cooking, the crucian carp must be peeled and marinated for a couple of hours in a weak vinegar solution. You can also add lemon juice to the marinade. A couple of hours – and there will be no trace of the smell. Additionally, this will help get rid of the smallest bones: they simply dissolve.
Crucian carps baked in sour cream
- 5 medium carp
- 300 ml sour cream 15% fat
- 3 medium onions
- ground black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- butter (for greasing the mold)
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes to prepare and 50 minutes to bake in the oven
- In the beginning, you have to do the most unpleasant and, perhaps, the most difficult job – to clean the fish. Each crucian carp must be freed from the scales, then gutted, gills and fins removed.
- After that, the fish should be washed very thoroughly and dried. Now you can marinate the fish. In this recipe, I do not use any spices other than salt and pepper. With them I rub the carcasses from the outside and from the inside. The dish will be fragrant anyway thanks to the herbs. Fresh lemon will help get rid of the river smell.
- Each carcass must be sprinkled with juice. I leave the carp to marinate for about 20 minutes.
In the meantime, I’ll take care of the sauce.
- Rinse parsley, dry and then chop with a knife.
- Add sour cream and salt to the herbs to taste.
- Liberally grease the crucian carp with the resulting sour cream sauce on all sides.
- Don’t forget the inside.
- Peel the onions and cut into rings half a centimeter thick.
- Grease the baking dish thoroughly with butter (especially the bottom).
- We spread a layer of onions on the bottom.
- Place the carp on top.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, send the dish to bake.
- After 30 minutes, I take out the form with carp from the oven.
- I water the fish with the juice formed during the baking process and return the dish to the oven for another 20 minutes (until golden brown). Wholesale chains and bracelets Juicy carp ready. Thanks to the sour cream sauce, the dish turned out to be very tender and aromatic.
Enjoy your meal!