Chickpeas are known and under such names as the tzitz, garbanzo beans, shish, nahata.
Chickpea ate at the court of the pharaohs, it was believed that he is able to cure male infertility due to the high content in pea plant protein. In Ancient Rome, chickpeas tzitz was called in honor of the famous orator Cicero. Still in the middle East, many dishes are prepared on the basis of this beneficial plant. In our latitudes nut is popular with vegetarians. Unlike beans or lentils, the chickpea is not felt starch and taste reminiscent of peas and nuts.
Chickpea excellent stored at any temperature and loses only a small fraction of nutrients during heat treatment. And it is the b vitamins, iron, calcium, phosphorus, unsaturated fatty acids. In the Turkish peas contains a substance methionine, which prevents obesity of internal organs and calms the nervous system.
To cook chickpeas just enough to soak it for a bit, then cover with water and simmer on low heat or in the oven in the large dishes until fully cooked. Chickpea likes the neighborhood is Eastern spices, such as ginger, turmeric, coriander, anise. Chickpea is a great compliment – fry the boiled chickpea vegetable oil, cover in salt and spices and serve with wine or beer.
From chickpea flour obtained low-calorie and very helpful pastries, pancakes. Good to eat and germinated chickpeas – so it will bring even more benefits, even raw.
Interesting facts about chickpeas
- In chickpea contains over 80 nutrients that are lost during cooking.
- Chickpea first mentioned in Assyrian clay tablets 750-s BC
- Chickpea is stored at any temperature, but in a closed container, because it does not like excess light and moisture.
- 100 grams of chickpeas contains more than 20 grams of valuable plant proteins.
- The Director of “Star Wars” is a big fan of chickpeas – given name Chickpeas one of the heroes of the famous Saga.
For more about chickpeas health benefits and harms – read our big article: