Rum – an alcoholic beverage produced by the fermentation and distillation of cane molasses and syrup, produced due to the manufacture of cane sugar. The drink has a transparent color and then aging in wooden barrels takes on an amber color. The strength of the drink, depending on the variety, can range from about 40 to about 75 degrees.
People first made this drink in ancient China and India over 1000 years ago.
The modern rum method of production started in the 17th century in the Caribbean Islands, where there were large sugar plantations. The first rum was of poor quality, and it was prepared mainly by slaves for personal use. After further development and improvement of technology, the drink gained a new level of quality after opening the first factories for distillation in 1664 in the territories of the Spanish colonies in America. The drink became so popular that for a time so that settlements used it as the currency. In Europe, it was on a par with gold. Even after the adoption of the independence of America, the ROM does not lose its position.
Also, this drink was popular among the pirates, who considered it a source of steady income. Rum was a part of the diet of sailors in the British Navy; however, due to its strength and alcoholic effect on the body, in 1740, Admiral Edward Vernon issued an order to issue the beverage only diluted water. This mixture subsequently got the name – grog. This beverage has long been considered a drink of the poor. To expand the beverage audience, the Spanish government announced a reward for the improvement of the beverage and its manufacturing processes. The result of such experiments was the occurrence of light rum, first produced by Don Facundo in 1843
Due to the complex history of the drink, it currently has no uniform system of classification. Each manufacturer has its own standards for brew strength, time of exposure blending. There are a few unified groups of varieties of rum:
- Bright, white, or silver rum, sweet drink, with a slightly pronounced flavor characteristic, mainly used for cocktails;
- Golden or amber rum – matured in oak barrels for a drink with the addition of aromatic substances (caramel, spices);
- Вark or dark rum – aged in charred oak barrels with aromatic notes of spice, molasses, and caramel. This kind of drink is most often used in cooking;
- Rum flavored with fruit, orange, mango, coconut or lemon. Used in the preparation of tropical cocktails;
- Strong rum – has the strength of about 75 vol., and sometimes higher;
- Rum premium – drink, aged for over 5 years. This drink is usually used in pure form;
- Rum elixir is a drink with a sweet flavor but less strength (about 30 vol.) than usual. Usually dry.
Compared to other drinks, there is no single cooking technology. Traditions and methods of its production are entirely dependent on the territorial location of the manufacturer. But four stages are essential regardless of location:
- 1 Fermentation of molasses. To the main ingredient is yeast, and water. Depending on which rum is made on the output, add a quick (light rum) or slow (strong and dark rum) yeast.
- 2 Distillation. Producers distill the fermented mash in copper pot stills or with the method of vertical distillation.
- 3 Excerpt. Some countries adhere to the standard exposure for at least a year. For this purpose, secondary wooden barrels (after Bourbon), freshly toasted oak barrels, and barrels of stainless steel. Because of the warm tropical climate of the producing countries, rum Matures faster than, for example, in Europe.
- 4 Blending. For the formation of the corresponding different taste of rum extract mixed in certain proportions with caramel and spices.
Dark rum is often used in pure form as a digestive. Classic snack to drink – an orange slice with cinnamon. Besides, this drink goes well with cherries, pineapple, melon, papaya, chocolate, and coffee. Gold and white varieties are mainly used for making punch or cocktails: Daiquiri, Cuba Libre, Mai tai, Mojitos, piña coladas.
Benefits of Rum
Rum has several useful properties. It is good for making poultices, tinctures, and other solutions.
With sciatica and acute rheumatism, you can use a compress of warmed rum. It is necessary to moisten with rum a small piece of gauze and apply it to the affected area. To create a greater warming effect, you should cover the gauze with polythene and warm cloth.
To treat respiratory diseases (whooping cough, bronchitis, sore throat), you can cook some medicinal mixtures based on this drink. It would be best if you mixed the crushed garlic (4-5 cloves), chopped onion (1 onion), and milk (1 Cup). Put the mixture to a boil and add honey (1 tsp), rum (1 tbsp). You need to take medicine to 1 tsp, with sore throat and cough, okay to use rum (100g) mixed with freshly squeezed juice of one lemon. Also, add honey (2 teaspoons) and mix thoroughly. The resulting solution gargles and ingests 1 tbsp.
With festering wounds, boils, and skin ulcers, you can use a decoction of calendula (40 g inflorescences 300g. boiling water) rum (1 tbsp) for washing the affected skin. To relieve inflammation and healing, you need to chop garlic (2-3 cloves), small onion (1 PC.), and aloe leaf. Add 2 tbsp of rum to the mixture and apply as a bandage. To change the mixture on the wound, you should every 20-30 minutes during the day.
Rum is also good to prepare home remedies for skin care of the face, body and hair. To protect the skin from external factors before going outdoors, you should use a special mask. It contains protein, rum (1 tablespoon), cucumber, tomato, and honey (1 tsp). Apply the mask evenly to the skin for 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water. For strengthening hair and stimulate its growth, you need to mix oil and rum (1:1) and, with massage movements, apply it to the hair roots, then spread on the remaining length. Keep the mask for one hour, then rinse with shampoo every day.
The rum is good in cooking desserts, cakes, marinades for soaking fruits and meat, for canning.
The harm of Rum and contraindications
Since rum refers to alcoholic beverages, it is contraindicated during pregnancy and breastfeeding, taking different kinds of medicines that do not have compatibility with alcohol, before the management of vehicles and technological machines, and children up to 18 years.
Useful and dangerous properties of other beverages: