Losing weight up to 3 kg in 7 days.
The average daily calorie content is 1060 Kcal.
A ketogenic diet (keto diet, ketosis diet) is a diet that significantly reduces carbohydrate intake. They are replaced by food containing only fats and proteins. The main task of the technique is to quickly rebuild the body from glycolysis to lipolysis. Glycolysis is the breakdown of carbohydrates, lipolysis is the breakdown of fats. Our body is provided with nutrients not only by the food consumed, but also by its own accumulated reserves of subcutaneous fat. Energy in cells comes from the breakdown of fat into free fatty acids and glycerin, which are further transformed into ketone bodies. This process is known in medicine as ketosis. Hence the name of the technique.
The main goal of a low-carb diet is to lose weight in a short time. Many celebrities go on a keto diet before going public to show off their toned body. Bodybuilders also often practice this technique before performances to reduce fat mass.
Ketogenic diet requirements
For the keto diet to work, you need to minimize your daily carbohydrate intake to 50 grams (maximum 100 grams). You can not use such foods: any cereals, baked goods and other foods made from white flour, pastry dishes, pasta from soft wheat varieties, potatoes, beets, carrots, bananas, sugar in any form, alcohol. It is not recommended to eat grapes, only occasionally you can indulge yourself a little of these green berries.
When building a diet, emphasis should be placed on lean meat, poultry meat (without skin and fatty streaks), fish (the best choice is salmon and herring), seafood (mussels, shrimp, crabs), low-fat cottage cheese, empty yogurt, chicken and quail eggs, cheese, nuts, low fat milk. Vegetables, except for those mentioned in the list of prohibitions, cannot be eaten more than 40 grams in one sitting. You can also leave a small amount of fruit on the menu, priority should be given to citrus fruits.
It is recommended to take 4-6 meals a day and spend them at approximately equal intervals. Try to eat relatively small portions and monitor not only limiting carbohydrates, but also calories. If the energy weight of the diet exceeds the norm of 2000 units, weight loss will be questionable. To make the diet work better, it is recommended to reduce the daily calorie value to 1500-1700.
As for drinks, during the ketogenic-type technique it is imperative to drink copious amounts of clean water without gas. This will help the kidneys, which will be working to their limit, to minimize the likelihood of problems with them. You can also drink any kind of tea, black coffee, vegetable and fruit juices, fresh berries, infusions, herbal decoctions, compotes from liquids. Keep it all sugar-free.
When cooking, you can use vegetable oil (preferably olive oil) in moderation.
It is not recommended to follow the rules of the ketogenic diet for more than one week. Usually during this time, at least 1,5-3 kilograms of excess weight leaves. With a noticeable excess of body weight, weight loss will be large.
Example of a ketogenic diet for 3 days
Snack: a glass of smoothie made from almond milk, cottage cheese, berries and a couple of pinches of vanilla extract.
Lunch: turkey fillet baked with cheese and a little mushrooms.
Afternoon snack: a handful of cashews or 2-3 walnuts.
Dinner: Mediterranean salad consisting of feta cheese, boiled chicken egg, several olives, lettuce leaves (you can fill it with a couple of drops of olive oil).
Breakfast: an omelet made from one yolk and three proteins of chicken eggs with spinach, herbs, mushrooms, sprinkled with cheese.
Snack: a couple of fresh cucumbers.
Lunch: baked chicken fillet with a portion of green vegetable salad seasoned with olive oil.
Afternoon snack: cheese balls made from finely grated cheese, natural yogurt and chopped pistachios.
Dinner: salmon steak (grilled or boiled) with boiled broccoli.
Snack: half a grapefruit or other citrus.
Lunch: dry-roasted lean beef and a slice of cheese.
Afternoon snack: 30 grams of almonds.
Dinner: low-fat cottage cheese topped with empty yogurt.
Contraindications to the ketogenic diet
- The ketogenic diet should not be used by people who have serious problems with the intestines and other organs of the digestive system, suffer from diabetes of any type.
- It is especially dangerous for diabetics to follow a keto diet, since ketone bodies provoke an increase in blood sugar levels.
- Also taboo for compliance with the listed recommendations – periods of pregnancy and lactation, dysfunction of the kidneys, liver and other vital internal organs.
- Of course, children and the elderly do not need to go on a keto diet.
- In addition, this technique will not be the best choice for people engaged in active mental work. A glucose deficiency observed when the method is followed can negatively affect the functioning of the brain.
- Before starting a life according to the rules of a diet, it is very advisable to seek the advice of a qualified specialist.
Benefits of the ketogenic diet
- On a ketogenic diet, the number of fat cells and the layer of fat is noticeably reduced. Consequently, cellulite disappears or becomes minimal, body flabbiness disappears, muscles acquire relief.
- Of course, the results of the diet will be much more effective and will appear sooner if you do not forget about physical activity. Connect at least the minimum amount of gymnastics, aerobics or other workouts that you like, and you will surely be pleasantly surprised by the changes that will happen to your body.
- If you smoothly exit the technique, the lost kilograms will not return for a long time.
- The good news is that you don’t have to starve on a diet. Thanks to the significant amount of protein food on the menu, you will always feel full.
Disadvantages of the ketogenic diet
- It is worth noting that during the period of adherence to such a technique, problems with the functioning of the intestines may arise due to a lack of fiber. To minimize discomfort, it is recommended to buy fiber in powder form at the pharmacy and add it in small quantities to the food you eat. It is best to add fiber to kefir, yogurt, yogurt or other fermented milk foods. It is also useful to eat bran on an empty stomach, drink fresh beetroot and not completely exclude vegetable oil from the diet.
- Eating disorders can also occur in connection with the abundant consumption of protein and fatty foods, which may not please your body. If there is bloating, constipation has become a frequent “guest”, it is still better to include in the diet more gifts of nature (for example, cabbage and green grapes).
- Another disadvantage of the keto diet is glucose deficiency, which the body will face with the method. This often results in weakness, loss of strength, lethargy, etc. The body can react to ketosis in an unpredictable manner. Be careful not to provoke health problems.
- A negative reaction of the body can occur due to the excessive formation of ketone bodies, which carry acetone compounds. If too many ketone bodies accumulate, it can lead to ketoacidosis (a malfunction in the metabolism). Therefore, doctors urge to be vigilant and know when to stop, following the keto diet.
Reapplying the ketogenic diet
If you feel good and the keto method suits you, but you want to lose more pounds, you can start dieting again in a month. Now, if necessary and desired, you can extend its term up to 14 days. According to this principle, adding a week or two, over time (if you need to lose a lot of excess weight), the ketogenic technique can be followed for two months (but not more!).