Today, goat breeding is becoming a very popular occupation. Breeders receive dairy and meat foods, animal hair. Goats are unpretentious animals, it is not difficult to take care of them. There is a prejudice against goat meat, which boils down to the fact that it has an unpleasant strong smell.
This is actually a delusion. The pungent smell is not inherent in meat, but in the skin of an animal, which absorbs natural secretions – urine and sweat. A skilled farmer knows the secret to obtaining excellent meat without foreign smells. To do this, when cutting an animal’s carcass, it is enough to carefully remove the skin, then wash your hands thoroughly and continue working. This will prevent the smell from spreading from the skin to the meat pulp.
In addition, if we talk about such a breed of goats as Zaanen, then in this case, the meat, in principle, cannot have foreign odors. This feature, together with high milk yield, is a characteristic feature of the Saanen breed.
Our ancestors have known about the undoubted benefits of goat meat since ancient times. This is the most valuable dietary food, which is consumed by many nations. Since ancient times, doctors have recommended goat meat, because it contains many vitamins and has beneficial properties.
This type of meat is also distinguished by the fact that it is extremely easy for the body to digest, saturating it with the necessary amino acids and microelements. The uniqueness of goat meat is also that it has a much lower content of cholesterol and unhealthy fats, unlike traditional beef or pork.
The meat of a young kid is easy to distinguish – it is lighter than lamb, and the fat will most often be white. High-quality meat will not have foreign smells and tastes. Due to its unique properties, goat meat has become an ideal food product for people of any age – it can be eaten by both children and adults.
Recently, it has gained particular popularity in America and Europe, as it fully meets the requirements of the healthy eating trend.
Goat meat composition
The calorie content of goat meat is 216 kcal per 100 g of product. It has a high content of fats and proteins and saturates the body well. In moderation, goat meat does not cause obesity.
Nutritional value per 100 grams:
- Protein, 39.1 g
- Fat, 28.6 g
- Carbohydrates, – gr
- Ash, – gr
- Water, 5 g
- Caloric content, 216 kcal
How to choose goat meat
First of all, you need not look for goat meat in a store. You can buy a fresh product on the market, or even better – right on the farm, in the farm that breeds these animals. It is important to remember that lamb is somewhat darker than goat meat.
The most valuable is the meat of specially fed kids up to one and a half months old. Gourmets note that most of all the meat of wild goats resembles the meat of a month-old kid, which is also specially prepared for slaughter.
The most tender meat will be in animals that are specially fed from birth exclusively with goat milk, and a few days before slaughter, rye and wheat bran are introduced into the diet.
It is believed that both adult valukhi (castrated goats) and spring goats can also produce meat that is excellent in its taste. Such animals are preliminarily transferred to a special diet in order to increase the meat and give it softness.
There is even an opinion that the meat of a producer goat is quite suitable for food. You just need to properly cut the animal and be able to competently prepare delicious and healthy dishes. The surface of fresh, quality meat must be dry, and in no case have any traces of mucus or stains.
The smell of the meat should be pleasant, and the meat itself, after pressing it with your finger, should restore its flat surface.
Freezing is the best storage method for any animal meat. It is important to remember that meat will last longer and better if it is first separated from the bone. Regarding goat meat, it is recommended to use it within the first three days, that is how long it retains all its useful properties as much as possible.
Interesting facts about goat meat
This animal has found its place in ancient legends and rituals. Thus, the famous saying “scapegoat” became popular, having received a reflection of one of the rites of the high priests.
So, during the forgiveness of sins, the priest put his hands on the head of a goat, which symbolized the transfer of human sins to this animal. After the ceremony, the goat was released into the Judean desert.
100 grams of goat meat contains 216 kcal. Meat contains a large percentage of proteins and fats, which are perfectly absorbed by the body.
The benefits of goat meat
- the amount of fatty acids is comparable to their content in lamb and beef, but has high nutritional characteristics
- high content of amino acids necessary for the body
- significantly higher content of vitamins such as A, B1 and B2, in comparison with the meat of other livestock animals
- significantly lower fat and cholesterol content than beef and pork.
Nutritionists advise to include goat meat in their diet for elderly people, as well as those who have a high risk of developing atherosclerosis and heart disease. Regular consumption of goat meat is also beneficial for those whose immune system is weakened after an illness or surgery.
In addition, in terms of their taste, goat meat dishes (provided that they are competently and correctly prepared) are much higher than the same ones, but cooked from beef or pork. Now goat meat is becoming more and more popular in Moscow restaurants and cafes. Chopped into small pieces, salted and sprinkled with spices, it is served fried, stewed or boiled.
The harm from goat meat
Have you ever wondered what kind of harm this meat brings to the body. What’s happening to us. The answer is simple – no harm !!! This meat is useful for absolutely everyone, but within reasonable limits.
Goat meat in cooking
To get a tasty, nutritious and healthy dish, goat meat must be pre-marinated. For the marinade, you will need a liter of dry white wine, 0.5 liters of wine vinegar, some onions and carrots, celery, a couple of cloves of garlic, parsley and other herbs.
Add a few peppercorns (black) and a pinch of caraway seeds to finely chopped greens, do not forget about the bay leaf. After that, we spread the meat cut into small pieces in a ceramic dish, fill it with the resulting mixture, fill it with vinegar and wine and leave it in a cold place for a day.
The meat marinated in this way will be juicy and soft, regardless of the further cooking method.
Goat meat stew in curry sauce
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 2.7 kg. chopped into 4 cm pieces of goat meat for stewing (shoulder)
- 4 Yukon Gold potato tubers, peeled and diced large
- 4 tbsp. onion, chopped in half rings
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp. l. chopped ginger
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 6 tbsp. l. curry powder
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp. l. vegetable oil or ghee oil (see recipe below)
- Cheryl Hot Sauce Water to taste (see recipe below)
- 1 bunch chives, thinly sliced, for garnish
Cheryl Hot Sauce:
- 10 whole Scotch bonnet peppers, washed and peeled
- 1 – 1.5 tbsp. table vinegar
- 10 whole allspice peas
Cooking a recipe:
- In a large bowl, combine the meat with the onions, tomato, ginger, garlic, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir well and leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the meat from the marinade.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté the meat in 2 tbsp. l oil ghee or vegetable oil until golden brown on all sides.
- When all the meat is browned, remove it and pour the excess fat out of the pan.
- Add the remaining ghee or vegetable oil to the saucepan, pour in all the remaining marinade, add a little hot sauce and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Then put the meat back in the pan, add enough water to cover the meat, and bring the contents of the pan to a boil.
- Cover the pan with a lid and place in an oven preheated to 190 ° C for 1.5 hours.
- Add potatoes to the pot.
- Place the pot back in the oven and cook 1/2 hour until the meat is tender.
- Simmer the sauce over medium heat with low simmer until thickened.
- Season with salt and, if desired, add more hot sauce. Garnish the meat with green onions.
- The dish can be served with roti cakes or white rice.
Cheryl Hot Sauce:
- Put pepper in a blender, pour 1 cup vinegar and puree.
- Add the remaining vinegar as needed.
- Add allspice.
- Store in a bottle or jar in the refrigerator. Exit: 2 st.
- Put butter in a saucepan with a thick bottom and place in an oven preheated to 150 ° C for 1.5-2 hours.
- Collect the foam from the surface and pour the liquid into a glass jar, leaving a milky residue at the bottom of the pan.
- The oil can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.