In the human body, chromium is found in muscles, brain, adrenal glands. It is included in all fats.
Chromium rich foods
Indicated approximate availability in 100 g of product
Daily requirement for Chromium
The daily requirement for chromium is 0,2-0,25 mg. The upper permissible level of consumption of Chromium is not established
Useful properties of chromium and its effect on the body
Chromium, interacting with insulin, promotes the absorption of glucose in the blood and its penetration into cells. It enhances the action of insulin and increases the sensitivity of tissues to it. It reduces the need for insulin in patients with diabetes mellitus, helps prevent diabetes mellitus.
Chromium regulates the activity of enzymes of protein synthesis and tissue respiration. It is involved in protein transport and lipid metabolism. Chromium helps to lower blood pressure, reduces fear and anxiety, and relieves fatigue.
Interaction with other essential elements
Excess calcium (Ca) can lead to chromium deficiency.
Lack and excess of chromium
Signs of a lack of chromium
- growth retardation;
- violation of the processes of higher nervous activity;
- symptoms similar to diabetes (an increase in the concentration of insulin in the blood, the appearance of glucose in the urine);
- increased serum fat concentration;
- an increase in the number of atherosclerotic plaques in the aortic wall;
- decrease in life expectancy;
- decrease in the fertilizing ability of sperm;
- aversion to alcohol.
Signs of excess chromium
- dysfunction of the kidneys and liver when taking chromium preparations.
Why is there a deficit
The use of refined foods such as sugar, finely ground wheat flour, carbonated drinks, sweets contributes to the decrease in the chromium content in the body.
Stress, protein starvation, infections, physical activity also contribute to a decrease in the content of chromium in the blood and its intensive release.