They pull-they pull, they can’t pull… That’s right, let’s talk about her – about the main character of fairy tales, cartoons and proverbs, about the turnip! After all, in addition to participating in fairy tales, it is also a valuable ingredient. We have made inquiries about it and are ready to tell you the basic information about this vegetable.
Young turnip root crops ripen in June and until late autumn you can enjoy a ground vegetable. But after that, the crop is harvested and with proper storage, turnips will be available until the next season.
How to choose
There are no special tricks when choosing turnips, pay attention to its appearance, buy whole root vegetables without cracks and damage.
Useful properties of turnips
- Turnip is a record holder among vegetables in terms of vitamin C content, and it has also accumulated vitamins B1, B2, B5, PP.
- The list of micro and macronutrients is also impressive, it contains: sulfur, copper, iron, potassium, manganese, zinc, magnesium and iodine.
- The use of turnip dishes has a positive effect on the digestive system, the liver, activates the secretion of bile, which prevents the formation of gallstones in the gallbladder.
- Due to its antibacterial properties, turnips will help to cope with viral and colds.
- The magnesium contained in the root crop will contribute to the accumulation of calcium, which has a beneficial effect on the condition of bones.
- Turnip also has a good effect on the condition of the skin and increases the elasticity of the muscles.
- This root vegetable is saving for vitamin deficiency, and it is also low in calories, so if you are watching your weight, eat turnips!
How to use turnips
Turnips fit perfectly into vegetable salads, just grate it or cut it into thin slices and add it to the rest of the vegetables. It is perfectly suitable for vegetable soups, and in stewed form, even with vegetables, even with meat , it is simply beautiful.
Turnips are baked, stuffed, and mashed from it.
Eat turnips necessarily and you will be healthy!
Recall that earlier we shared recipes for 5 of the most delicious, in our opinion, turnip dishes.