Grappa (ital. Grappa – grape pomace) is an alcoholic beverage produced by the distillation of grape pomace.
Apply the drink to a class of brandy and has the strength of about 40-50. In accordance with the international decree of 1997 Grappa can be called only the drinks produced in the Italian territory and Italian raw materials. Also, this decree strictly reglamentary beverage quality and standards of manufacture.
In the process of wine production is still a large number of fermented pulp of the grape skins, seeds and twigs. For disposal of these wastes, the entire mass is distilled by distillation, and the result is visokogradnya drink Grappa.
The exact time, place and the history of the origin of the drink is unknown. Since the manufacture of the first prototype of the modern Grappa has been more than 1500 years. But the Italians prefer to call the birthplace of the drink a small town of Bassano del Grappa at the eponymous mount Grappa. Initially, this drink was very rough and tough. Drank it in one gulp without any savoring of clay bowls. Over time, taste Grappa has undergone a transformation and became an elite drink. The most popular drink has won in 60-70 years of 20 century in connection with the growing global popularity of Italian cuisine.
The quality of Grappa depends entirely on the feedstock. The best Grappa obtained from the distillation residue of grapes used for making wine or pomace of white grapes from which only the pressed juice. Raw fermented and sent to distillation.
Types of Grappa
Distillation can be done in two ways: in a copper alembic column or continuous distillation. The output is a ready-made drink, which is either immediately bottled or left to age in oak and cherry barrels fresh. Wooden barrels over time, give the Grappa an amber hue and distinctive taste of tannins.
There are several types of Grappa:
- вlanka – fresh Grappa transparent color immediately bottled for further implementation. Has a sharp taste, low price and great popularity in Italy.
- аffinata in legno Grappa aged in barrels for six months, has a milder flavor than вlanka, and a light Golden hue.
- vecchia Grappa aged in barrels for one year.
- stravecchia Grappa, which has the strength of about 50 vol., a rich Golden color. It is aged for six years in oak barrels.
- monovitigno Grappa made of 85% of a certain grape varieties (Teroldego, Nebbiolo, Ribolla, Torcolato, Cabernet, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, etc.).
- polivitigno Grappa, which includes more than two grapes.
- аromatica Grappa is created by the distillation of the fragrant grape varieties of PROSECO or Muscato.
- аromatizzata Grappa from grape spirits infused with fruits, berries and spices such as anise, cinnamon, juniper, almonds, etc.
- uve Grappa, with a distinctive fortress and pure wine aroma. Made from whole grapes.
- soft grappa – the Grappa nizkogradusnoyi (not more than 30 vol.).
The most well-known brands of Grappa are: Bric de Gaian Grappa, Grappa Ventani, Grappa Tre Soli Tre Grappa Fassati Vino Nobile di Montepulciano.
Due to the high strength of the Grappa is often used as a disinfectant for wounds, bruises, and abrasions.
This same property allows you to do on Grappa a variety of medicinal tinctures.
So with great excitement of the nervous system and insomnia use the tincture of hops on the Grappa. For this hop cones must be crushed (2 tbsp) and pour the Grappa (200 ml.). The mixture should infuse for 10 days. The resulting liquid should be taken twice a day for 10-15 drops.
Reduce headache and migraine help orange liqueur. Chopped oranges (500 g), grated on a fine grater horseradish (100 g), peresypaya sugar (1 kg) and pour a liter of Grappa with water (50/50). This mixture to dissolve the sugar should be boiled in a water bath with the lid closed for one hour. Cooled and strained infusion take 1/3 Cup 1 time a day two hours after eating.
Harm Grappa and contraindications
Grappa should not be drunk by people with chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular and nervous systems.
Also do not neglect the doctor’s warnings about the dangers of consumption of strong alcoholic beverages such as Grappa, pregnant women, nursing mothers and children up to 18 years.