Whole treatises have been written about the fundamental difference in the perception of the same things by men and women. However, the difference in diets has hardly been discussed until now. But in vain, because representatives of both sexes are distinguished not only by primary and secondary sexual characteristics, but also by the hormonal system and genetics. As a result, women suffer from some diseases, while men – others.
In addition, the functioning of individual organs and systems in men and women is carried out in different ways. The intensity and principles of their work dictate the needs for vitamins and minerals.
Nutrition and gender
Increased emotionality, taking on other people’s worries and problems and the hectic pace of modern life have left their mark on the health of the average woman. Having become interested in him, scientists have identified a list of the most popular diseases that women suffer from. The leading positions in it are occupied by diabetes, cancer and diseases of the cardiovascular system, in particular, hypertension.
Based on these data, a balanced diet for women was compiled. It includes a complex of foods that allow you to enrich the body with substances that can prevent the development of these and other diseases and increase immunity.
Along with this, due place in this diet is given to calorie issues. But the point here is not so much in the state of the woman’s health as in her unbridled desire to be slim and beautiful. Nutritionists just couldn’t ignore it.
Factors Affecting Women’s Diet
The truth that all people are different is more relevant than ever in matters of women’s nutrition. Young women who do not have health problems and lead an active lifestyle need an ordinary nutritious diet. After 30 years, it needs to be adjusted. And at 50-55 years old, it is extremely important to strictly follow the recommendations of doctors, excluding or adding certain foods. Thus, it will be possible not only to avoid the development of many diseases, but also to prolong your life.
A separate group is made up of pregnant women. When considering their diet, they should take care not only of their own health, but also of the health of their future babies.
Food for women over 30
Clinical Medicine Professor Pamela Peak of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, USA, who is also the author of the bestselling book “Fight Fat After 40”(“ Fighting Overweight After 40 ”) states that:“ Women are special. Therefore, they need a special diet that would allow them to always be energetic and concentrated. All the more so if they have already crossed the 30-year mark! ” She also offers a list of foods that should be in the women’s diet at least a couple of times a week. It included:
- Cereals – brown rice, whole grain bread, barley flour foods. They are rich in fiber, so they perfectly cleanse the body and improve digestion.
- Foods containing folic acid are citrus fruits, asparagus, cereals and legumes. They are good for the heart.
- Cranberry and cranberry juice. The proanthocyanidins they contain prevent the development of diseases of the urinary tract and cardiovascular system.
- Water. It is useful at any age. Pamela Peak recommends drinking at least 8-10 glasses a day. Among other things, this will normalize digestion and rejuvenate the body.
- Nuts. It is an excellent source of protein, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, selenium, copper, folate, and vitamins E and A. Regular consumption of nuts will help lower blood cholesterol and improve brain function.
- Green leafy vegetables – all types of kale, watercress, spinach. They contain fiber, carotenoids, vitamin C and folic acid. They help fight stress and have a beneficial effect on the nervous system.
- Products with vitamin C. Citrus fruits, strawberries, bell peppers, cabbage, tomatoes, kiwi. These are natural antioxidants that reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease.
- Iron-containing foods – beef liver, dried apricots, nuts, corn, spinach. They help improve blood circulation, increase hemoglobin, thereby boosting immunity, and stabilize the menstrual cycle.
- Calcium-rich foods – low-calorie dairy foods, green leafy vegetables. Eating them helps keep your bones healthy.
- Fish and seafood. They are rich in iodine, fluorine, phosphorus, manganese and other useful substances that improve metabolism, normalize brain function and have a beneficial effect on the health of women.
Food for pregnant women
Being in an interesting position, a woman should eat well, consuming a sufficient amount of proteins, healthy fats (nuts, fish, dairy foods) and carbohydrates (it is better to give preference to cereals, potatoes, legumes and cereals). This will allow you to maintain excellent health and give birth to a healthy baby.
The only thing that during this period is important to make sure that special foods are also present in the diet:
Eggs. They contain protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which the unborn baby desperately needs.
Salmon. High in protein and omega-3 fatty acids. It has a positive effect on the development of the nervous system and vision in the fetus.
Walnuts. Be sure to add them to your diet if you don’t like eggs and red fish. They have a similar effect on the body.
Yogurt. It is a source of calcium and protein.
Lean pork or beef. Lean meat also enriches the body with protein.
Fruits and vegetables. This is a storehouse of vitamins and nutrients, each of which is necessary for the expectant mother.
Legumes. It is a source of fiber and protein.
Cereals. They contain B vitamins, iron and carbohydrates. By consuming them, you can get rid of digestive problems and ensure health and well-being for yourself and your unborn child.
Dried apricots and apples. These are sources of iron, the lack of which in the mother’s body during pregnancy can cause low hemoglobin, or anemia, in the baby after birth.
Food for women after 55
Lack of estrogen and calcium, menopause and problems with the cardiovascular system leave their mark on the diet of a woman at this age. In order to reduce their negative impact, it is necessary to increase the consumption of fruits, vegetables, dairy foods, cereals, nuts, legumes and fish during this period. This way you can minimize the risk of developing diseases and improve the quality of your life.
What else is good for women
Regardless of age and physiological state, representatives of a fine article should use:
Dark chocolate. It will help you fight stress and stay in a good mood at all times.
Avocado. This fruit is able to prevent overweight.
Milk. By consuming it, you don’t have to worry about bone health.
Apples. They boost immunity due to their iron content.
Broccoli. It contains vitamin C, on which the production of collagen in the body depends. And this is the beauty and elasticity of the skin.
Almond. It contains antioxidants, vitamin E and magnesium. Skin health and, as recent studies have shown, healthy sleep depend on them.
Garlic. It reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular disease.
Prunes. It improves digestion and prevents the development of anemia.
Green tea. It contains antioxidants that minimize the risk of cancer and lower blood cholesterol levels.
How else to maintain health and beauty?
- Learn to avoid stress. This will preserve the health of the nervous and cardiovascular systems.
- Workout. Regular exercise makes women look beautiful and happy.
- Take care of the quality of sleep. Its deficiency negatively affects health, and the skin in particular.
- Do not abuse salty, fatty, smoked and unhealthy foods. It promotes the development of hypertension and impairs the absorption of vitamins.
- Limit alcohol consumption. An exception can be made for red wine.
- Quit smoking.
And finally, learn to enjoy life. Scientists claim that its quality depends on the observance of this advice!