- What are Canadian roses
- Characteristics and features of Canadian roses
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Types of Canadian roses
- Varieties of Canadian roses with photos and names
- Canadian roses in landscape design
- Reviews about varieties of Canadian roses
The best varieties of Canadian roses are suitable for growing in almost any region. They perfectly tolerate frosts down to -40 ° C, and practically do not require shelter for the winter. The variety appeared in the last century in Canada, from where it got its name.
What are Canadian roses
Canadian roses are a variety of crop that is considered the best for growing in harsh weather and harsh climates, with constantly changing temperatures and severely frosty winters. These include different types with a wide range.
An overview of Canadian roses, as well as their features, characteristics and description of the best varieties are presented below.
Characteristics and features of Canadian roses
Canadians are a perennial ornamental shrub obtained as a result of complex hybridization. Its height, depending on the type and variety, can be from half a meter to three. The plant is classified as re-flowering, usually the budding period starts in June and ends only in October. The flowers are refined, can be both simple and semi-double, the best varieties are distinguished by densely double inflorescences.
Petals, depending on the species, are present in the amount of 5-50 pieces, the size of the buds is up to 13 cm in diameter. Their color is varied, most often there are white, pink, orange, red and raspberry specimens.
The main feature of Canadian roses is endurance. The culture is immune to diseases, frosts, adapts to arid climate, it is not afraid of wind and rain. Even if the shoots of the plant freeze in winter, they quickly recover with the advent of spring. And this variety is easy to propagate on its own, for which they resort to the method of cuttings.
Advantages and disadvantages
Roses of Canadian selection, the varieties and photos of which are presented below, have an extensive list of positive qualities and practically have no disadvantages.
- excellent frost resistance;
- quick recovery after winter;
- long flowering;
- graceful look;
- variety of varieties of different shades;
- strong immunity to common diseases;
- immunity to the vagaries of the weather;
- easy propagation by cuttings;
- good survival;
- flowering even in the shade;
- large size of buds;
- few spikes.
- demanding pruning;
- the need for hilling during cultivation in the northern regions.
Types of Canadian roses
Canadian roses impress flower growers with a variety of varieties, which are divided into two series: Parkland and Explorer, as well as four main types: rugosa hybrids, climbing, park and modern.
Explorer (Explorer) – a series of climbing shrubs with dense branches, decorated with fragrant buds. Its best varieties are named after the discoverers of the Canadian rose.
Parkland (Parkland) – a series of park roses with sophisticated buds of exquisite shape. The best varieties are presented in a varied color palette, but completely devoid of aroma.
Varieties of Canadian roses with photos and names
Since there are hundreds of varieties of culture, it sometimes becomes very difficult to choose the best of them. First of all, preference should be given to one or another variety, starting from the climate of the growing region. For example, the best varieties of Canadian roses for the Leningrad region or the Moscow region are any of the frost-resistant and unpretentious.
Canadians obtained from wrinkled roses are characterized by the beautiful shape of the bush and the abundance of leaf plates in its lower part. These roses will be an excellent solution for creating a hedge or border, they will look original in flower beds or as a background in a mixborder.
The best varieties are:
- Henry Hudson. A variety up to 100 cm high. It is distinguished by semi-double medium-sized white-pink buds that abundantly cover the entire bush.
- Martin Frobisher. Spreading Canadian rose up to 170 cm high. It is distinguished by upright shoots, which are literally strewn with medium-sized light pink flowers.
Canadian roses of the climbing variety are sprawling bushes with shoots 2 meters or more long. They were obtained through breeding with the participation of hybrids of Kordes roses (Kordesii).
The most effective are:
- John Davis A variety with pink-red flowers that cover the bush abundantly and emit a fruity aroma with spicy notes. If the season is warm, then the rose blooms early. The duration of its budding lasts up to six months.
- Quadra (Quadra). A variety of red Canadian roses up to 180 cm high. It is characterized by long flowering. Two to four flowers are tied on each brush.
- Felix Leclerc Rose. Tall variety with shoots up to 3 m. Flowering varieties of bright pink color. Frost resistance down to -30 °С.
- Champlain. A very hardy variety, characterized by semi-double red buds with numerous yellow stamens in the central part, which cover the bush until frost. In one brush, there are up to seven flowers.
Park Canadian Roses
Park varieties are distinguished by the largest variety of varieties. They are highly durable and have earned the love of many gardeners.
- William Baffin. A variety resistant to many diseases with rose buds with a fruity aroma. At the same time, about two dozen flowers bloom on one bush.
- John Cabot. A hardy variety with pale pink buds on large bushes. The first flowering period occurs at the beginning of summer, the second in autumn.
- Lac Majeau. A variety with snow-white buds, in place of which, after flowering, small berries are formed. The height of the bush is an average of one and a half meters.
Canadian roses of modern breeding were obtained on the basis of those that grow in areas of Alaska. These are compact species resembling hybrid tea varieties and floribundas.
The best modern varieties can be called:
- Adelaide Hoodless. Spreading bush about a meter high, blooming throughout the summer. The flowers are bright, collected in lush inflorescences.
- Prairie Joy. An elegant variety that blooms from spring to late autumn. This variety of pink Canadian rose grows to a height of 150 cm.
- Morden Sunrise. A variety of yellow-orange color with beautiful glossy leaves. The bushes are compact, with a maximum height of one and a half meters.
Canadian roses in landscape design
The best varieties of culture are often used to create landscape designs. There are several options for its use, and in each it looks great. Tall park varieties are great for creating hedges. Such a fence looks especially beautiful against the backdrop of green shrubs. It will bloom for a long time, from the first summer days until mid-autumn.
If we talk about climbing roses, then with their help you can decorate gazebos, unsightly buildings, various designs. The arches braided by them look very beautiful. The plant can be used to create borders. The best varieties for this purpose are miniature, in one color palette.
In addition, Canadians look very impressive in flower beds and flower beds made in any style. There you can play with a variety of varieties and shades, but it is better if these are not very high varieties.
The best varieties of Canadian roses are highly valued by specialists and flower growers for their many advantages. They do not require special care, bloom throughout the warm season and are not at all afraid of frost. The varieties are presented in a wide variety and each of them is charming in its own way.
Reviews about varieties of Canadian roses
Смотрите это видео на YouTube