- Main characteristics. Description.
- Calorie content and chemical composition
- Why is chum fish useful for health
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Chum salmon when losing weight
- Potential harm
- Chum salmon cooking tips
- How to choose chum salmon
- Chum salmon in the oven with potatoes
Chum salmon is an industrial species of catch. Fishers and people who care about their health love its use for the excellent quality of meat and caviar. Also, Medical professionals recognize it as a dietary product due to its low-fat content, lack of carbohydrates, and low-calorie content. Chum salmon belongs to the salmon family.
Main characteristics. Description.
- the average life expectancy is 7 years;
- in length reaches 100 centimeters, sometimes there are larger individuals (up to 1.5 meters in length);
- the average weight is 5-7 kilograms; during spawning, the weight increases;
- scales are silvery, with a yellowish or greenish tinge;
- the body is elongated, laterally flattened;
- there is a big mouth, but the teeth are poorly developed.
During puberty, the fish gains weight and reaches 15 kilograms; the jaws lengthen, the teeth are deformed—the color changes to a brighter one. When spawning, the scales become black, and the meat turns white and devalues its qualities. The fish becomes inedible.
Chum salmon is found in the sea and freshwater. She spends most of her life in the Japanese, Bering, and Okhotsk seas. It spawns at the mouths of rivers and then upstream. It can travel up to two thousand kilometers.
The fish spawns once in its life at the sexually mature age of four. For spawning, it picks up a clean bottom with a slight current. Females seek shelter, and males protect eggs from enemies. When throwing eggs, chum salmon await dangers in the form of large mammals, predators, waterfowl. For eggs, the main enemy is river fish of different families.
Young growth develops and grows up in freshwater. With the onset of spring and high water, it goes to sea. Here the fish gains weight, and with a cold snap, it goes into the depths. With the onset of puberty, she gathers in shoals and goes to spawn.
Chum salmon contains:
- vitamins: A, PP, E, D, group B;
- microelements and macronutrients: iron, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium;
- protein in the form of amino acids;
- fats, represented by polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Fish is rich in vitamins, minerals, protein components, so the benefits of using this product are undeniable. A complex of vitamins is necessary for the functioning of the organs of vision.
Calorie content and chemical composition
Chum salmon meat contains a rich set of vitamins (per 100 g):
- vitamin PP – 8.5 mg;
- E – 1.3 mg;
- vitamin C – 1.2 mg;
- vitamin B1 – 0.33 mg;
- B2 – 0.2 mg;
- vitamin A – 0.04 mg.
- zinc – 0.7 mg;
- iron – 0.6 mg;
- fluorine – 430 mcg;
- chromium – 55 mcg;
- nickel – 6 mg;
- molybdenum – 4 mcg.
- potassium – 335 mg;
- phosphorus – 200 mg;
- chlorine – 165 mg;
- sodium – 60 mg;
- magnesium – 30 mg;
- calcium – 20 mg.
Nutritional value (per 100 g):
- water – 74.2 g;
- proteins – 19 g;
- fats – 5.6 g;
- carbohydrates – 0 g;
- cholesterol – 80 mg;
- ash – 1.2 g
- Caloric content: 120 kcal.
The caviar of this fish contains:
- vitamins: A, B1, B2, C, E, K, PP;
- amino acids;
- polyunsaturated fats.
Why is chum fish useful for health
Firstly, both chum salmon meat and its caviar contain many useful elements, especially omega-3 fatty acids, which take part in the work of every system of our body.
Its health benefits are also undeniable:
- The protein found in fish is easily digestible; it contains essential amino acids that help fight harmful cholesterol.
- The amino acid methionine is a source of sulfur, which is involved in metabolism and regenerates the liver. It also helps to overcome depression and stress.
- Fatty acids, penetrating deep into cells, stimulate their regeneration, thus rejuvenating the body.
- Selenium is a great antioxidant.
- Organic acids remove toxins and slow down aging.
- Thiamine makes the body more enduring during physical and mental labor and neutralizes the destructive effects of alcohol and tobacco.
Such dietary fish as chum salmon is useful to many, but there are exceptions.
During pregnancy and breastfeeding
First of all, Sea fish is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are necessary for a pregnant woman’s body. They take an active part in the development of the fetus. Fish meat is easily digestible, which means it does not burden the stomach and does not cause disorders of the digestive system (a frequent occurrence in pregnant women).
Thanks to the rich vitamin and mineral composition of the chum salmon, the body of the mother and child receive all the necessary nutrients. Despite all the benefits, you should consume fish in moderation. It is permissible to include it in the menu twice a week.
Important! As with pregnant women, breastfeeding women should be careful with red fish, as they are allergenic.
Chum salmon when losing weight
Firstly, Chum salmon contains a certain amount of fat. Still, it can be attributed to the number of dietary foods since its calorie content is low, and the proportion of nutrients is significant.
A large amount of easily digestible protein allows you to quickly saturate the body, which means that fish in the diet will make it possible to balance the diet and protect yourself from overeating. All fats contained there are not stored by the body but are removed from it. In addition, they have a beneficial effect on the condition of the skin, hair, nails.
The presence of chum in the diet can be harmful only for:
- allergy sufferers;
- people with individual intolerance to seafood;
- people on a strict diet.
Chum salmon: benefits and harms, nutritional value, composition, contraindications to use
At the same time, stale fish can harm any person.
Chum salmon cooking tips
There are many options for cooking redfish. Each homemaker knows in what form her family will like this product. The following are general recommendations for cooking it:
- Firstly, Inexperienced homemakers often confuse chum salmon with pink salmon, which is why the dishes change their taste. Chum salmon is a large fish, up to 5 kg. Therefore it is always sold in large pieces.
- Secondly, Fish contains a lot of water, so you can’t just fry it; it will lose the juiciness. It is advisable to cook in the oven.
- Thirdly, Vegetables, herbs, and lemon will help keep the fish juicy.
- Fourthly, It is better to cook chum salmon in large pieces.
- It would help if you washed the fish in cold water to preserve the taste and smell. After – blot with a paper towel.
- When baking in the oven, it is recommended to take out the dish a few minutes before cooking. In the foil, it will reach the desired state.
- Finally, Due to its meat, chum salmon is one of the most valuable among salmon fish, and its caviar is considered the most delicious and high quality. Many nutritionists advise including this product in the diet, and not only for those who want to get rid of extra pounds but also for those who care about their health. The main thing is not to abuse the product.
How to choose chum salmon
Not every customer can tell the difference between chum salmon and pink salmon. And many unscrupulous sellers sell pink salmon under the guise of chum salmon. When buying chum salmon, please pay attention to its fins. They should not have dark spots. The meat of this fish is bright pink in color and size. It is much larger than pink salmon.
You can buy chum salmon at any grocery market or fish store. Fresh fish should be odorless; there should be no cloudiness in the eyes. They should be shiny. In addition, the surface of the chum salmon should not be slippery and should be kept chilled for no more than eight hours.
Chum salmon in the oven with potatoes
Ingredients for cooking:
- Potatoes – 4 pcs.
- Chum salmon – 400 gr.
- · Milk – 150 ml.
- Broccoli – 80 gr.
- · Nutmeg to taste.
- · Salt to taste.
- Firstly, Peel the potatoes, cut into rings of small thickness, put in a mold, salt, pour 150 ml of water, and let simmer for 20 minutes at a temperature of 180 – 190 ° C.
- Secondly, Finely chop the broccoli and place it on top of the potatoes.
- Put the chum salmon cut into pieces on top.
- Season with salt to taste and add a little ground nutmeg.
- Pour milk over everything and bake for 20 minutes at the same temperature.
The fish dish is ready. Enjoy your meal!