A few centuries ago, only those people who excluded animal protein from their diet were considered vegetarians. As this food system spread throughout the world, its varieties began to appear. And after them, and fashionable diets, the principles of which have nothing to do with the canons of true vegetarianism, but still rank themselves among it.
Vegetarianism or pseudo-vegetarianism?
What is vegetarianism for a true vegetarian? It’s not just a type of food. This is a special way of life, a philosophy based on love. Love for all living beings and for oneself. She does not accept conventions, therefore, it provides for the rejection of all types of meat and fish, and not only those that are easiest to exclude from your diet. The only thing she can tolerate is the use of milk or eggs – products that animals give away without pain.
Today, along with vegetarianism, there is also pseudo-vegetarianism… It combines diets that involve the consumption of certain types of meat, sometimes in smaller quantities than usual. More often than not, people who adhere to them simply pay tribute to fashion or want to become healthier by giving up their culinary habits at least for a while. However, many of them call themselves vegetarians.
Types of vegetarianism
True vegetarianism has several varieties:
- Veganism – This is one of the most famous forms. It is called the strictest, since it prohibits the use of any animal products – fish, honey, eggs or milk. You need to switch to it gradually, and, adhering to, constantly monitor your diet, making sure that the body receives the required amount of nutrients. Since its inception, veganism has been the subject of regular controversy between medical professionals who reject such radical nutritionalism and true vegans who pride themselves on their blooming appearance, excellent health and great well-being.
- Lacto-vegetarianism – the food system, the prohibition of which includes all products of animal origin, except for milk, etc. Due to its loyalty, it is considered quite popular.
- This-vegetarianism – type of food opposite to the previous one. Prohibits the use, but has nothing against eggs and honey.
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism – perhaps this is one of the most common forms. A person who adheres to it is allowed to introduce milk and honey into his diet. True, provided that the former will not contain a chicken embryo. Lacto-ovo vegetarianism has gained widespread popularity thanks to the benevolence of doctors. They argue that this type of diet is not only not harmful, but also incredibly beneficial to health. It allows you to cure existing chronic diseases and prevent the emergence of new ones. That is why from time to time every person is shown lacto-ovo vegetarianism.
Raw food as a form of vegetarianism
This type of food has been successfully spreading all over the world in recent years. People who stick to it call themselves raw foodists. They eat only raw foods that are not exposed to even minimal heat treatment, and do not recognize spices and seasonings. The only cooking methods allowed in the raw food diet are and.
The raw food diet includes fruits and vegetables, sprouted grains, cold-pressed vegetable oils, and sometimes even milk, eggs, fish or meat. Fresh or dried, these foods, according to the opinion of convinced raw foodists, contain the maximum amount of nutrients.
The emergence of this type of nutrition was preceded by the emergence of the theory that the human food chain could only contain raw food, because it is it that is considered natural, since it is given by nature itself.
The advantages of this type of diet over others speak in favor of a raw food diet, stating that:
- 1 Heat treatment destroys many vitamins and minerals, as well as enzymes that are necessary for normal digestion;
- 2 Those substances that are nevertheless retained are less well absorbed by the body;
- 3 Under the influence of high temperatures, new chemical compounds appear in products that were not laid down by nature, as a result of which they can have an adverse effect on the body.
Types of raw food
A raw food diet, like vegetarianism, has its own varieties. It happens:
- Omnivorous – This type of food is the most common, as it allows the consumption of any raw or dried food, including meat, fish, milk and eggs.
- Vegetarian – when fish and meat are excluded, but dairy products and raw eggs are allowed.
- Vegan – being the strictest, this type of food still remains one of the most common. It prohibits the consumption of any animal products. They can only be replaced with natural plant foods.
- Carnivore – Called raw meat-eating, this form permits the inclusion of raw fish, seafood, raw meat and animal fat, and eggs in your diet. However, the consumption of vegetables and fruits in this case is minimized.
In addition, a raw food diet can be:
- 1 mixedwhen several products are consumed at one time;
- 2 monotrophic… It is also called raw food and involves the use of a certain product at one time. That is, only apples or only nuts for breakfast, only oranges or only potatoes for lunch, etc. The raw mono-eaters themselves say that by eating in this way, they reduce the load on the digestive tract.
Fruitarianism as a form of raw food diet
Fruitarianism is a type of diet that permits the consumption of raw fruits. These can be fruits or vegetables, berries, legumes, seeds and grains. The main thing is that you don’t need to destroy plants to get them.
In other words, within the framework of this type of food, it is allowed to eat cucumbers, bell peppers, raspberries, and so on. But it is forbidden – carrots (since this is the root of a plant, without which it cannot live), green onions (these are its leaves).
The diet of fruitorians is at least 75% of the fruits that are eaten raw without the addition of spices or flavor enhancers.
Pseudo-vegetarianism and its types
According to true vegetarians, if there is even a minimal amount of meat or products in the diet, it is no longer vegetarian. Nevertheless, at least 3 types of such pseudo-vegetarianism are known.
- Flexitarianism – it is jokingly called a “lightweight” form of vegetarianism. It promotes the use of exclusively vegetarian food, but it allows you to occasionally eat a piece of meat or several. While vegetarians around the world scoff at this nutritional system, doctors call it one of the healthiest in decades. In addition, she has an interesting birth history that is inextricably linked to the romantic feelings of Sir Paul McCarthy and his wife Linda. The fact is that the latter was a true vegetarian and urged everyone to give up meat in order to protect animal rights. The legendary musician, being a real meat-eater, tried in every possible way to support his wife. By arranging for himself 1 vegetarian day a week, he encouraged others to follow his example. And later he founded the “Meat Free Mondays” movement. It should be noted that this type of food is ideal for beginner vegetarians and people leading a healthy lifestyle.
- Vegetarian sand – This is a form of pseudo-vegetarianism, in which the use of all types of meat, milk and eggs is prohibited, but the use of any fish and seafood is allowed. There are constant controversies around peskovegetarianism. Ethnic vegetarians do not tolerate the destruction of fish, which also have a nervous system and can be afraid. At the same time, beginners are afraid to completely exclude seafood from their diet. After all, they are irreplaceable in their composition, which are necessary for the normal functioning of the body.
- Pollo-vegetarianism – a type of food that prohibits the use of milk, eggs and all meat products, except.
Despite all the controversy and controversy, each of these types of vegetarianism exists. True or false, it has its followers and, be that as it may, allows a person to choose the optimal type of food for themselves. It doesn’t matter what it’s called. The main thing is that it brings real pleasure and allows you to stay healthy and happy.