Fantasy films are popular, especially among young people. However, many people prefer the novelties of this genre and forget about the old, cult films, which, despite their age, are no less interesting. We’ve compiled a list of the best sci-fi movies of all time. Carefully study this list, in case you missed something or just want to revise.
- Release date: December 14, 1984
- Budget: $40 million
- Director: D. Lynch
- Actors: Y. Prokhnov, K. MacLachlan, B. Dourif, K. MacMillan, S. Young, Sting, M. Von Sydow
- Duration: 2 hours 25 minutes
Events unfold in 10991 – a merciless war unfolded for the planet Dune, completely covered with desert. In the center of the event is a warrior who opposed the troops of the emperor, who wished to completely conquer the planet. Dune has become a classic of the genre, despite the fact that the film failed at the box office, barely collecting 32 million dollars.
9. Starship Troopers
- Release date: November 4, 1997
- Budget: $105 million
- Director: P. Verhoeven
- Actors: K. Van Dien, D. Richards, D. Busey, N. Patrick Harris, S. Gilliam, K. Brown, P. Muldoon, R. McCalnahan, M. Ironside, F. Doel
- Duration: 2 hours 17 minutes
The earth is under treacherous attack of the race of beetles, most of the cities have turned into ashes. However, the earthlings are not broken, now all of humanity is one big army. There is only one way out – win or die. The film tells the story of a young man who joined the army to end the enemy forever.
8. Terminator 2. Judgment Day
- Release date: July 1, 1991
- Budget: $102 million
- Director: P. Verkhoven
- Actors: D. Cameron. Actors: A. Schwarzenegger, L. Hamilton, E. Furlong, E. Boen, R. Patrick, C. Guerra, D. Cooksey, D. Morton
- Duration: 2 hours 33 minutes
The continuation of the cult film turned out to be even louder: an excellent plot, great actors, unsurpassed special effects (for 1991), a brilliant director – what else is needed for success? In the second part, Arnold will have to fight with a liquid crystal cyborg, the meaning of whose existence is the destruction of Connor.
7. The Fifth Element
- Release Date: May 7, 1997
- Budget: $90 million
- Director: L. Besson
- Cast: M. Jovovich, B. Willis, I. Holm, K. Tucker, G. Oldman, L. Perry, B. James, L. Evans, Tricky, D. Neville
- Duration: 2 hours 05 minutes
Bruce Willis once again has to save the planet, now from the universal evil that awakens every 5 years. In this, he will be helped by an absolute weapon, with the role of which Mila Jovovich did an excellent job. The film has it all – exciting flying car chases, shootouts with representatives of the “goblin” race, star fights, magnificent scenes of hand-to-hand fights.
6. Space Odyssey 2001
- Release date: April 2, 1968
- Budget: $90 million
- Director: S. Kubrick
- Actors: K. Dully, W. Sylvester, G. Lockwood, D. Ricter, M. Tyzek, R. Beatty, D. Rain, F. Miller, S. Sullivan
- Duration: 2 hours 21 minutes
A mysterious artifact has been discovered on the Moon, having studied the influence of which, humanity becomes confident in the existence of an alien mind. To learn more about the artifact, NASA sends an expedition of three astronauts and the HAL supercomputer. However, during the flight, inexplicable events begin to occur.
- Release date: March 31, 1999
- Budget: $63 million
- Directed by: The Wachowski Brothers
- Actors: K. Reeves, L. Fishburne, K. Ann-Moss, H. Weaving, D. Pantoliano, M. Doran, G. Foster
- Duration: 2 hours 16 minutes
The first film of the trilogy will tell about Thomas Anders, a promising programmer and hacker, who discovers a terrible truth: the world is controlled by The Matrix. Now he has to become the leader of the resistance, a warrior who constantly risks his life for the sake of the liberation of mankind.
- Release date: December 10, 2009
- Budget: $237 million
- Director: D. Cameron
- Actors: S. Warrington, S. Weaver, Z. Soldana, L. Alonso
- Duration: 2 hours 58 minutes
In addition to the huge number of awards and prizes, “Avatar” is the highest-grossing film of all time with a total of 2,8 billion dollars. The tape tells about the struggle of the people of the planet Navi with human invaders, the main character of which is a disabled marine who went over to the side of Navi.
- Release Date: May 25, 1979
- Budget: $2,8 million
- Director: R. Scott
- Cast: S. Weaver, D. Hurt, I. Holm, T. Skerritt, W. Cartwright, G. Stanton, B. Badejo, H. Horton
- Duration: 1 hour 57 minutes
The Nostromo spacecraft responds to a distress call and lands on an unknown planet. Here the team finds cocoons from which bloodthirsty creatures hatch. One of these creatures gets on board the departed ship. Now the task of the crew is only one: to survive. The tape became the progenitor of a huge number of films that are released to this day. Also, the film is included in the “golden fund” of cinema.
2. The Dark Knight Rises
- Release date: July 14, 2008
- Budget: $185 million
- Director: K. Nolan.
- Actors: K. Bale, T. Hardy, M. Cottyard, E. Hathaway, G. Oldman, M. Kane, D. Gordon-Levitt, D. Temple, K. Murphy
- Duration: 2 hours 45 minutes
For more than eight years, nothing was heard about Batman – law enforcement officers were looking for him, classifying him as a criminal. Now Batman has to return, because Gotham City is in mortal danger in the face of the ruthless Joker. The film is full of action-packed scenes and keeps you in suspense until the last minute.
1. Star Wars. Episode 4: A New Hope
- Release Date: May 25, 1977
- Budget: $11 million
- Director: D. Lucas
- Actors: M. Hamil, G. Ford, K. Fisher, P. Cushing, E. Daniels, P. Mahew, D. Prause, D. Jones, K. Baker
- Duration: 2 hours 04 minutes
The galaxy is on fire in civil war, so Obi Wan, Luke, and the smuggler Solo have no choice but to find Princess Leia – the charming leader of the rebels. To survive, they have to destroy the “Death Star” – the most terrible weapon of the emperor. When filming “Star Wars”, the most advanced technologies available in the cinema of that time were applied. What are the scenes of battles on “light sabers”.