- 1) Against coughs, respiratory ailments, chest congestion and inflammation of the throat
- 2) Against thrombosis, hypertension and swollen legs
- 3) Against the aging of arteries and skin
- 4) Against acne, cold sores and insect bites
- 5) Against infection and ear pain
- 6) Slimming ally, against cellulite, diabetes and cholesterol
- 7) Against difficulty falling asleep and insomnia
- 8) Against dandruff and hair loss
- 9) Against nausea and vomiting
- 10) Against fever
- 11) Against cuts, wounds, burns and sunburns
- 12) Against osteoporosis
- 13) Against colic in babies
Natural medicine well known to our grandmothers, onion has many unsuspected virtues. A true concentrate of nutrients, it alone contains 11 vitamins, 5 minerals, 4 trace elements and 3 macronutrients.
These benefits on our health are numerous, because onion has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antibiotic, and antiseptic properties. Immune stimulant, this super vegetable reduces cancer and boosts metabolism.
Here are 13 common diseases that the onion can be really effective against.
1) Against coughs, respiratory ailments, chest congestion and inflammation of the throat
– In syrup or as a gargle : Peel and cut an onion in half. Put a tablespoon of brown sugar on each slice and cover. After an hour, collect the resulting juice and drink 2 tablespoons twice a day. You can add honey and lemon.
– As a poultice : Crush an onion, make a paste with coconut oil. Place the poultice on the chest using a clean tea towel.
Thanks to the anti-bacterial properties of the sulfur contained in the onion, it will reduce coughing, release toxins, reduce inflammation, and strengthen the immune system.
2) Against thrombosis, hypertension and swollen legs
Consuming onion daily (preferably raw or as an infusion) helps to thin the blood and facilitate blood flow, which prevents clogging of the vessels and the formation of clots. It is therefore a major asset against thrombosis, hypertension and swollen legs.
3) Against the aging of arteries and skin
Thanks to its antioxidant properties, onion protects arteries and skin from premature aging if consumed regularly. Its capacity for cell regeneration is no longer to be proven and it also makes it possible to stop the attacks of free radicals on our body. The onion thus prevents many diseases, including cancer.
4) Against acne, cold sores and insect bites
In case of insect bites or cold sores, it is enough to gently rub half an onion on it several times a day.
In case of acne, make a mask with mixed onion, 1/2 cup of oats and 1 teaspoon of honey. Apply this “homemade” mask on the face and let stand 10 minutes before rinsing. To renew 2 or 3 times a week.
Thanks to the regenerative capacity of the cells possessed by the onion, the result is guaranteed!
5) Against infection and ear pain
Place a slice of onion in a cloth that is placed on the painful ear. Use a scarf or scarf to hold it in place and keep it until the pain is gone.
Its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties will be very effective in cases of otitis.
6) Slimming ally, against cellulite, diabetes and cholesterol
A true slimming ally and very low in calories, the onion included in a diet helps to burn fat, detoxify the body and acts as a real natural appetite suppressant. It also helps reduce the “orange peel” appearance caused by cellulite and lowers bad cholesterol levels.
It is also a potent anti-diabetic. Its draining and detoxifying action considerably helps in weight loss.
7) Against difficulty falling asleep and insomnia
As the onion naturally contains L-Tryptophan, an amino acid with sedative power, you just need to smell an onion cut in half 5 to 6 times just before going to bed to sleep like a baby!
8) Against dandruff and hair loss
The many vitamins contained in this miracle vegetable help to develop growth and tone the hair. In addition, by mixing onion juice with Aloe Vera, you get a lotion that you apply before shampooing: very effective against dandruff!
9) Against nausea and vomiting
On the one hand, grate an onion and collect the juice. On the other hand, brew cold mint tea. In case of nausea or vomiting, drink 2 teaspoons of onion juice and, 5 minutes later, 2 tablespoons of mint tea. Repeat if necessary.
10) Against fever
This curious ancestral technique is however very effective in reducing fever:
Put coconut oil on the soles of the feet and apply onion slices on top. Wrap the feet in cling film and put on socks. By leaving the onion under the arch of the foot in this way overnight, it will eliminate toxins and germs, and the fever will be gone the next morning!
11) Against cuts, wounds, burns and sunburns
By using onion peel against wounds, the antiseptic it contains will stop bleeding much faster, prevent infections, and its antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties will speed healing.
12) Against osteoporosis
The quercetin in onion, and more specifically in red onion, helps fight osteoporosis and significantly slows bone loss. For this, it should be consumed daily, preferably raw.
13) Against colic in babies
By giving babies boiled onion juice every 2 hours when they have colic, they will soothe their pain thanks to its ability to relax stomach muscles and aid digestion.