The training program for the home with a barbell and typesetting dumbbells practically does not differ from the complex for the gym. Any exercise machine can be replaced with a more functional movement with free weights. To do this, you need to understand which muscle is working in the exercise and find an appropriate replacement for the simulator.
Not everyone in the apartment has a gym with a barbell, racks, dumbbell row, customizable benches and an unlimited set of pancakes. Most people working at home are limited to typesetting dumbbells, fitball, horizontal bar and expander. This is enough if you correctly draw up a program.
Features of home workouts
To begin with, it is important to understand that an apartment is not a gym. There is no coach here to control the technique. You will have to learn how to perform the exercises correctly on your own – from the video on youtube and in front of the mirror. Practice the technique with a simple wooden or plastic stick before starting the squat or king deadlift, and then have someone at home videotap you (calorizer). Compare this video to the training video. Pay attention to the presence of natural deflection in the lumbar spine, correct starting position, movement of the knees, distribution of the center of gravity.
Home Strength Training Tips:
- Always warm up – use the warm-up complex from the introductory program.
- Work the muscles of your entire body at a time or use two-day splits – the more intense the workout, the higher your body’s metabolic response to it.
- Use dumbbells of different weights – your muscles are of different sizes and have different strengths, so the load on them should also be different.
- With a limited set of free weights, you won’t be able to progress in strength. The body quickly gets used to the load, so it needs to be changed. You can increase the number of repetitions, make the movements harder, use methods to increase the intensity.
- Concentrate on large exercises – 70% of the training session should be occupied by energy-intensive multi-joint movements, the remaining 30% should be single-joint movements.
- Keep the number of repetitions in the range of 6-20 times per set.
- Finish stretching the worked muscles.
It is better to postpone cardio training in the home program to another day. Doing aerobics after strength training at home is not as convenient as in the gym. However, if there are no contraindications, short interval cardio can be done.
How to replace simulators?
Any simulator can be replaced if you have no contraindications. When choosing exercises, always consider how they suit you.
Replacements for the most popular simulators:
- Pull-ups in a gravitron – pull-ups on a horizontal bar with a shock absorber;
- Row of the horizontal block – row of dumbbells in the slope (change the grip to work the muscles at different angles), row of one dumbbell in the slope;
- Smith Squats – Dumbbell Squats;
- Hyperextension – hyperextension on the floor, hyperextension on the ball;
- Flexion of the lower leg in the simulator – flexion of the legs with a dumbbell;
- Leg Press – Different types of dumbbell squats.
To find a suitable replacement, you need to understand how the muscle you want to load works. For example, the latissimus dorsi work in vertical (top) and horizontal (towards yourself) pulls. A horizontal bar is not an obligatory inventory, you can do with dumbbells.
Intensity enhancement techniques
Intensity-boosting methods for home workouts are essential. With them, your body will receive the metabolic stress it needs. These are supersets, doubles, trisets, hybrid movements, interval and circular approaches.
Superset – combining exercises for opposite muscles in one approach. For example, lunges in place and bench press. That is, having made lunges, you do not rest, but immediately do a bench press. Only after that do you rest, and then repeat the superset again.
Twenty – combining exercises for one muscle group in one approach. For example, push-ups from the floor and flattening dumbbells. It is performed in a similar way to a superset.
Triset – combining three exercises for different muscle groups in one approach. For example, dumbbell squats, seated presses, and bent over rows.
Hybrid movements – two exercises are combined not in an approach, but in one movement. For example, squat with dumbbells and press up – you squat, holding the dumbbells at chest level, and then stand up and squeeze them up while standing. Hybrids are often used by Gillian Michaels in her programs. A good example is the No more trouble zones program, which is almost entirely built on them.
Interval approaches – Supersetting heavy and lighter exercises. For example, 5 reps burpees with push-ups and 10 swings with dumbbells.
Circuit training has long been a surprise – doing exercise without rest is considered the easiest method to build a fat burning workout.
We draw up a workout program for the home
If you have read the article “How to draw up a training program for the gym”, then you know the basic rules for writing a set of exercises. First, choose the split – for example, this time let’s use the bench / deadlift. Then we determine the number of exercises (6-8), the number of sets and repetitions, we choose methods of increasing the intensity (superset, hybrids).
1. Squats and press dumbbells up 4 × 10
2a. Lunges in place with dumbbells 3 × 12 on each side
2b. Push-ups from the floor / from the knees 3 × 12
3a. Plie Squat 3 × 15
3b. Side Dumbbell Raises 3 × 15
4a. Dumbbell Leg Curl 3 × 15
4b. Reduction of dumbbells lying 3 × 15
1.Romanian Dumbbell Deadlift 4 × 10
2a. Dumbbell Row 3 × 12
2b. Floor / Ball Hyperextension 3 × 12
3a. Bent-over row of one dumbbell 3 × 15
3b. Single leg glute bridge 3 × 15
4. Lying crunches 3 × 15
5. Plank – 60 sec
Note that the most technically challenging exercises come first and are unpaired. The more difficult the movement, the closer to the beginning one should be (calorizator). We ended up with a rather complex home complex. If you are a beginner, then at first you may not use any methods of increasing the intensity – do the exercises consistently and work on mastering the correct technique.