When scientific research expeditions go to little-studied areas of our planet, in the list of foods that they take with them, be sure to include jerky or fish.
Drying is a type of cold drying of fish or meat.
Drying technology consists in the gradual dehydration of foods. As a result, enzymes are activated, which give food excellent taste, as well as the necessary properties for long-term storage of foods.
In jerky foods, unlike dried foods, fat is distributed throughout the entire thickness of the muscle mass. Cured meat is more aesthetically pleasing in appearance, its taste is more harmonious and resistant to rancidity.
General description of the method
- 1 In order to properly dry the product, a constant supply of fresh air and temperatures up to + 40 ° C are required. At higher temperatures, irreversible changes in the protein, called denaturation, occur. At the same time, the taste of the foods becomes such that few people dare to try them. And if he tries, he will become an active fighter for the observance of the thermal regime!
- 2 The cooking time of food depends on the air temperature, lack of moisture and the presence of wind. For faster cooking, the meat should be hung at a height not lower than human height. This is due to the fact that at such an altitude the wind speed is higher than at the surface of the earth. Drafts are also a good factor.
- 3 If the weather is windy and dry, the product may be ready after 2-3 days. More often, the cooking time is 2 or more weeks.
Well-dried foods acquire resistance to the development of pathogenic microflora. This is due to the insolation properties of the sun, on which the drying process is carried out.
Dried foods are eaten without further culinary processing, immediately after the end of the cooking process. The shelf life of such foods is very long, which is convenient for a hike or expedition.
Currently, there are a huge number of pseudo-dried foods on sale. Their main difference from real jerky ham or fish is that the process of their preparation is not associated with the sun. As a result, incomplete fermentation occurs, and the product does not have all the advantages of natural drying.
Useful properties of dried food
- The nutritional value of dried foods is certainly worthy of respect. Thanks to this technology, enzymes are activated that have a positive effect on the brain and spinal cord, improve the functioning of the intervertebral discs, and most importantly, they improve the overall functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.
- People who regularly eat jerky and fish feel more active than their peers who don’t. This is due to the fact that dried meat tends to be more fully assimilated.
- The fat that soaks meat and fish, under the influence of the sun and enzymes, undergoes transformation, thanks to which it is able to give the body more energy and vitality.
Dangerous properties of dried food
Who will not benefit from jerky? These are primarily people with impaired protein (purine) metabolism.
It is also harmful to people who have high blood pressure.
Also, it is not advisable to use jerky foods for persons who have a tendency to urolithiasis.